Beginners guide to rigging.......

Adam Bourne

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One piece of kit i think is good that i would add to even the most basic kit is a tag line .:thumbup1:

I agree... I had a crane on site the other day [for steel not timber] lifting some columns into place, not very big, 12m long, about 3/4 of a ton each, and I noticed the riggers didn't use tag lines. This was fine generally, except on one they lifted the flange was under another steel, so it didn't lift cleanly and swung round when it came free, they controlled it OK by hand but I would have been far happier if they'd used a tag line to control it remotely.....

Interesting thread so far. It would be good to see a few pictures of the most basic of set ups ie natural crotch rigging, before progressing to lowering devices, pulleys etc. Many people can't afford all the fancy gear when they first start out plus this really is the most basic of rigging principles. I always learn more from a picture with a little bit of a written explanation after as I would imagine many are so anyone with pictures to post it'd be appreciated. I used a portawrap for the first time on a rigging job at the weekend after years of using various tree stems, pulleys and other set ups only because that's the way I was taught back in the 80's. I've already seen a few different things on this thread that could improve efficieny. As ever, Arbtalk is proving to be a great learning tool.

i love basic, its usually means simple and quick. It doesnt get any more basic than these 2 pics, this was a small tree, with no height to work off as i had heavilly reduced/topped it a few years before, i wanted the branches back into the garden i was working in and not into the nieghbours, just 1 groundie and the branches were over a new extension.:001_rolleyes:

So a simple rope over the limb above, clip it onto a strop and then back onto the rope, this way you can lower and pull at the same time, very simple and effective:001_smile:

for those that remember these pics it was christened the Shrekie technique:biggrin:

Adam if these are not in keeping with the way you want the thread to go just say and I will remove them.

597660cf15b1e_ericsashtree009.jpg.d2a38e5ee87ce41bda69fc66454b861b.jpg

597660cf10d30_ericsashtree010.jpg.40912df1e3fd2cd7058fc44e75f98024.jpg

Edited by Stephen Blair
Added the last bit

i love basic, its usually means simple and quick. It doesnt get any more basic than these 2 pics, this was a small tree, with no height to work off as i had heavilly reduced/topped it a few years before, i wanted the branches back into the garden i was working in and not into the nieghbours, just 1 groundie and the branches were over a new extension.:001_rolleyes:

So a simple rope over the limb above, clip it onto a strop and then back onto the rope, this way you can lower and pull at the same time, very simple and effective:001_smile:

for those that remember these pics it was christened the Shrekie technique:biggrin:

Adam if these are not in keeping with the way you want the thread to go just say and I will remove them.

awesome Stephen a rigging/speedline/tag line in one.......:thumbup1:

first for me so thanks for sharing.....

very simple and very effective......:thumbup:

It works best with plenty of friction, so either over a big limb or use a pulley but wrap it around a tree or through a bollard, or around the chippers funnel, back arm of a mog, tow bar of customers BMW, whatever comes to hand lol.:biggrin:

I feel equipment should evolve with a climbers experience, so beginners don't get carried away and get into bother with limbs and lumps that are too big for them:001_smile:

Back to Basic's and choosing the right rope.......Again.:001_smile:

So in the next few posts i'll demonstrate why its important to choose the right rope, choosing the right anchor point, placing rigging line, using the tree to your advantage, friction management using only the rope and tree, also the use of a tag line.

For this demonstration i'm using the 12mm Marlow braid line its tightly braided construction is supple, hard wearing and snag resistant (see photo 1)

using a double braided rope such as this samson stable braid (see photo 2) is not good for natural fork rigging, the soft outer sheave will catch on everything as demonstrated in the photo i pulled out a strand with my fingers easy, imagine what a peg or bark will do to it.

DSCF2883.jpg.af1857cad6e749581df0ee53d983b1f4.jpg

DSCF2862.jpg.3ac98562277bf3a1510013ea78bd9114.jpg