Beginners guide to rigging.......

Adam Bourne

Yeah I was already lost. There was too many posts and I missed a page. Any chance of a pm when you have finished a section so I can check it?

I'm going to be totally lost tomoz night as I got a long day on demo and won't be home till late.....

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I was already lost. There was too many posts and I missed a page. Any chance of a pm when you have finished a section so I can check it?

I'm going to be totally lost tomoz night as I got a long day on demo and won't be home till late.....

all the post's are related theres no way to get lost. (at the minute anyway) i've just gone through basic gear and explained in words how to do it.

the pictures will explain more when i get a chance.....the thread is open for you to go back and read through again so please do. and i've already said if your unsure about anything then just ask! someone will reply with an answer thats the whole point of this thread.......:001_smile:

With the whoopie Sling do you just choke it around the trunk? In the pic it looked like the capston would slap about a lot, how do you eliminate that on the whoopie sling?

i'll demonstrate in pictures later mate, for now though the whoopie sling is adjustable for length and yes is choked to the stem on the ground, the down side to using a capstan like this one is you can't get all the slack out and will cause a slight free fall before underload, hope this helps for now mate,,,,,:thumbup1:

I didnt mean to be sarcastic, I'm sure I could if I tried though.

Thing is, rigging is not about the kit, its not about what the basic kit is, and then what the expensive kit is (my GRCS comment was sarcastic). And its not about what numbers add to upto this/that or whatever.

I have seen (and died of boredom) a number of rigging classes/seminars/workshops etc. and none of them have taught anything about rigging.

Rigging is about using the tree to dismantle itself (sometimes using other trees) its not about pulleys or ropes (yes you need a rope, but you should have one with you already ;)......) its about using what you have already. Any thread about rigging that invlolves showing different bits of kit will just make people want to buy more kit, so unless you are a supplier its a bit pointless.

Please put up some pics of some well documented rigging methods. That would be useful to everyone, myself included.

The best instruction information I have seen recently is Gerald Beranek's DVD on rigging.

I didnt mean to be sarcastic, I'm sure I could if I tried though.

Thing is, rigging is not about the kit, its not about what the basic kit is, and then what the expensive kit is (my GRCS comment was sarcastic). And its not about what numbers add to upto this/that or whatever.

I have seen (and died of boredom) a number of rigging classes/seminars/workshops etc. and none of them have taught anything about rigging.

Rigging is about using the tree to dismantle itself (sometimes using other trees) its not about pulleys or ropes (yes you need a rope, but you should have one with you already ;)......) its about using what you have already. Any thread about rigging that invlolves showing different bits of kit will just make people want to buy more kit, so unless you are a supplier its a bit pointless.

Please put up some pics of some well documented rigging methods. That would be useful to everyone, myself included.

The best instruction information I have seen recently is Gerald Beranek's DVD on rigging.

thanks for a well put reply rupe.....:thumbup1:

the reasons behind this thread is to help climbers wanting to know about rigging and what equipment to use so personally i think running through the basic equipment first is a great start its not about going out there and buying shiny new stuff but maybe it will help the suppliers so if there looking, my bank details are! account number 55???............:biggrin:

exploring new ideas has to start somewhere if i started straight out with this goes there, that does that it would make for a very boring thread.

so starting at the very beginning buy naming and showing a few bits of equipment will then stem into a know how later with informative and well documented rigging methods......

so maybe everyone else needs to slow down and wait for the thread to develop its self....:biggrin:

are you still lost mate?

The most important part of lowering is the cutting imo, if you don't know how to work the timber and place your cuts then all the ropes and pulleys in the world are not going to to help.

This comes with experience , beginners should get a 2" 3 strand rope with a shackle on the end , that'll learn them :)

Its your thread Adam and you can do as you wish, but I really think the point Rupe makes is a very good one.

When learning something new you need the very basic principles of what your doing and most importantly why.

Once you have covered the basic principles and methods you can then start introducing more equipment and explain why this equipment is better and how it improves the system.

So far this thread is just looking like a catalogue for ropes a pulleys.

Please don't take my post the wrong way, its just Rupe has made a very good point, but you seem to have missed it :)

Adam, for what its worth heres my twopenny worth:... As i see it you initally outlined in your first post what you were intending to do, what its practical implications and advantages were to the arbourist and how you intended to set out the thread and progress it, with additions from others as the thread ran.

You have done just this so far, and done it well IMO.

Its your thread, you choose how to unwind it! (uh sorry!)

Others may have done it differently but they dident start the thread YOU DID!

For me its great so far and going well.. kepp on and enjoy it !