Beginners guide to rigging.......

Adam Bourne

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Choosing your lowering rope

theres a big difference between using some old climbing line and a lowering line although the old climbing can still be used in small rigging scenarios its still advised to get your self a lowering rope designed for rigging......

lowering ropes come in many variables such as size and the structure of the rope so depending on how big you want to go to if your natural crotching, if your rigging requires a low stretch or a high stretch, these are but a few things to think about when choosing your rigging rope....

here are some examples of what lowering lines are out there....

from left to right we have 12mm marlow braid

14mm samson stable braid

16mm marlow double braid

and 16mm marlow braid

what no blue poly rope ,:001_tongue:

Yep, i always make sure my ground-man knows what i expect. usually its my dad and he knows the drill now. I use the 'rope over a fork at the top of the trunk and down to a figure of 8 attached to the bottom or another tree close to teh bottom' method and cut short lenths... usualy 5 foot sections

what no blue poly rope ,:001_tongue:

haha afraid not mate.....can't beat the stuff ....:lol:

:lol:

Haha, classic!

nice one for your input mate great example and very funny but lessons from it to be learnt.....

Yep, i always make sure my ground-man knows what i expect. usually its my dad and he knows the drill now. I use the 'rope over a fork at the top of the trunk and down to a figure of 8 attached to the bottom or another tree close to teh bottom' method and cut short lenths... usualy 5 foot sections

the next post maybe something to think about then mate....happy reading.

:thumbup1:

Hello all, very new to the site , hoping to do the CS40 & 41 this year all going well :blushing: so this helps alot . Is there anyone from Ireland on here.

welcome to the forum mate.......indulge yourself and good luck on the cs40/41...

there are a few lads on here from Ireland just luck out for the rainbows.....:biggrin: they'll be there somewhere.:laugh1:

progressing on the lowering devise.....

Adding Pulleys into the system will almost remove all friction so using the figure of 8 won't be very practical so the use of a better lowering device will be needed.

the picture below is of a yale whoopie sling and a small isc porta wrap, this will manage your friction. and if your rope is run direct from this to the main anchor pulley down to the branch tied of with a hitch to minimise hardware, it will also increase your work load making sure your working again within all your SWL the rope should be kept as the weakest link in your system...

different rigging scenarios require other components such as Karabiners, rigging plates and slings which will all limit your load and the rope will no longer become the weakest link, so what ever your lowering be sure to work to the piece of hardware with the lowest SWL in the 2nd picture my weakest link is my slings with a MBS (Minimum breaking strain) of 30kn. of course there are many types of slings with larger SWL but use what is safe and right for the application .

05062012088.jpg.b593ab269d5d5486030c96ddcf868854.jpg

05062012081.jpg.7b9b4f5690ba2951d72103cd197bd1c1.jpg