Considerations of a Detective

Buzz Burrows

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40k! stick at it, do a degree in ecology countryside, do the tech cert in arb following with diploma and walk straight into consulting/with ecology bias.

youll be too long in the tooth to be a rich climber thats for sure.

Good advice from one who knows the game inside out.

I would add that you can start climbing trees recreationally and maybe doing a few comps for a bit of a buzz as well as hitting the books.

Putting your family first, as a newbie after doing that fast-track course you'd be more likely looking at £15k, and that's only IF you could find a job!

Good luck with it, whatever.

I would consider sticking with it and hit the 30yrs if possible,

If it is unlikely that your pensions safe maybe a move to security

Private / banks etc. obviously we don't know where you transferred

after your initial beat but if you have experience in close/royal protection for

example the above transition in the above would be easy.

Maybe the thing you are looking for is staring you in the face?

As for arb age is not the problem it's experience and you would be pushed

To get your wage, you seem to have been promoted at some point for that wage

So you must be good at what you do.

Maybe investigating war crimes or the like as many ex coppers do and get well paid.

Can you not take a new direction in your job or move to the country side ?

Get out of the smoke drive a landi and still have your blues n twos and be more part

of the community rather than a number in the met?

Who knows... Only you but I'm sure people on here will

give you good advice on all your questions

Good luck

Good points, what about a tangent turn within the police? I always thought small departments within large organizations was the better place to be, and in your situation under water search and rescue (police diver) springs to mind. If its not to be a tangent and you feel you must leave then opt for a country side degree it would be more versatile, Arb is at the moment saturated with all singing all dancing applicants, the vacancies which are filled at the moment are to those experienced folk of Arb, who probably are not holders of qualifications but know the job inside out and can / have the aptitude to take up a position and prove them selves instantly and make a company a profit or turn things for a company in trouble, there are a few folk who fit this description on this forum and to prove this point they are all in full time work even in the depths of this recession . I also know a few ex police and they all wish they were still in now :thumbup1: Good luck.

40k! stick at it, do a degree in ecology countryside, do the tech cert in arb following with diploma and walk straight into consulting/with ecology bias.

youll be too long in the tooth to be a rich climber thats for sure.

Well said Tony :thumbup1:

Good advice from one who knows the game inside out.

I would add that you can start climbing trees recreationally and maybe doing a few comps for a bit of a buzz as well as hitting the books.

Putting your family first, as a newbie after doing that fast-track course you'd be more likely looking at £15k, and that's only IF you could find a job!

Good luck with it, whatever.

Well said Mark :thumbup1: He'd be taking twenty steps back as a new climber on the financial ladder of life :thumbdown:

I can only answer the age bit of your question from my own experience.

I started at 31 0r 2 in arb. I survived age wise and am now 51 and a bit. I've been full time employed, freelance climber for five years, and own business for 4 years. I'm about to start a job as a climber in NZ if I ever sort out my visa situation, where I have to be in the yard at 6.30am and climb all day on huge trees 5 days a week. I'm cacking me pants but I'll survive somehow.

Follow your heart mate:001_smile: mine will probably have a bit of a shock soon:thumbup1:

Hi Buzz

Surprised that no one has suggested that if you are a copper and in to trees why not transfer to the Special Branch for a change of scene.

On a more serious note could you not combine working part time to keep the money coming in and studying for a degree in arb/forestry at the same time. Might be difficult for a few years, but after uni you could still start your own business or work as a consultant/freelancer for a few years to gain enough experience or work till you reach the point that you are able to go full time.

Mike