7ft long & floating balls

TrollSpiel

Looks fantastic!!:thumbup1:

What timber is it? I guess beech?

10X lacquer sounds like A lot of work!!

Thank you ;-)

Chestnut. And 10x is a lot, but I want that thick wet look with no fuzziness on the reflections. Lacquered chestnut looks like honey, and with that swirly oil on water looking grain..... Lovely :D

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for the info.

Followed quite a few of your projects and always find them brilliant pieces of work.

One day I WILL make something practical and aesthetically pleasing rather than a swedish candle or a piece of firewood.:thumbup:

I have some beech, elm and cedar sawn into planks so at least its a start, well thats what I keep saying to myself!

Cheers for the info.

Followed quite a few of your projects and always find them brilliant pieces of work.

One day I WILL make something practical and aesthetically pleasing rather than a swedish candle or a piece of firewood.:thumbup:

I have some beech, elm and cedar sawn into planks so at least its a start, well thats what I keep saying to myself!

Well thank you, that is the greatest compliment a man can get. But I know a couple walking into ikea would take one look at my work and say 'vile' :D so I'm realistic about things.. Your own work, Dig deep mate, there are no rules, and remember the words of George Clinton. " nothing is funky unless you play with it" . Build !!

brilliant piece of work. really like the detailing on the legs, was it routed or sculptured.

Thanks bud ;-)

All of that, Harvey - total anal-retentive attention to detail :D

Carve out the drawn lines with a tiny router / laminate trimmer & a 6mm bit. Easy to move with robot efficiency. take all the meat out with a 25mm bit (w/bottom cut) on a big dewalt. The over/unders are cut with chisels, and the cleanup is done with them. Scrape out with chisels where too small to sand, and then sand until you hear "if you dont come and get your dinner the dogs are getting it"

Hi Love the table great stuff

The resin is messy stuff to work with( i use the Polylite now its a reasonable price)

Love the size of your work and the carving adds a new dimension

Thanks Steve ;-)

Ive shifted over to AS composites. 44£ @ 5L - cant argue with that. And they sell all the tints etc. No shelf-life problems, never any tackiness either.

The inlays on this are not as planned. The table is "themed" around the elements, and the stones etc I had disappeared soon as I poured the resin in, so I had 10 minutes to hoik them out and get something in there - the 25mm spheres were to hand. With the heat build-up pulling the cast away from the edges producing that "silvering", i was well happy with the results, so threw em in at the other end. I set the cast in at intervals, and it is open to the underside, so they balls look like they float, and you can see thru to the floor - well, when it's polished you can..

other half wants to keep it, so it's not for sale. but i have enuff of the same timber to make 3 more, although I wont make another the same.

Thanks bud ;-)

All of that, Harvey - total anal-retentive attention to detail :D

Carve out the drawn lines with a tiny router / laminate trimmer & a 6mm bit. Easy to move with robot efficiency. take all the meat out with a 25mm bit (w/bottom cut) on a big dewalt. The over/unders are cut with chisels, and the cleanup is done with them. Scrape out with chisels where too small to sand, and then sand until you hear "if you don't come and get your dinner the dogs are getting it"

That is a superb way of measuring time. :thumbup1: