a proper chopper Job,

MOG

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thats was nasty hope makes good recovery. i take it was the same climber in both vids?

often think ones more likley to have an accident doing simple stuff.

did the piece go the wrong way or was it just his rope getting caught?

once again wishing him the best.

carl

the piece shaun was removing was about a tonne, he didnt use a flipline because a it wasnt long enough and b and he didnt want to be tied in place. a 2 inch stub caught his rope and dragged him down. the force his harness went through is incredible-the knots on the bridge changed ALOT, if his hitch hadnt of slipped under load i believe something would of snapped badly and shaun may not be here. He is a top bloke and hopefully a speedy recovery will ensue and more big tree work in te future. on ya shaun :)

That's a good lesson about the dangers of leaving stubs... DON"T DO IT!

Looks like his line was on the stub from the start... It can happen that quick when you forget one little detail..

Speedy recovery and glad he'll be OK. Looked like his left arm might have been under the tree.....

That's a good lesson about the dangers of leaving stubs... DON"T DO IT!

Disagree.

There are times when leaving the right stub in the right place can be a great help.

I'm not talking about leaving a stem looking like a porcupine, just the one or two stubs you might need at some point later in the climb, be that for work positioning, rope postioning, flipline positioning or natural crotch rigging.

To just say 'dont leave stubs' as a general rule is a bit short sighted.

If you look at the video it wasn't the stub that caused the accident in the first place it was his cutting and his work positioning. The piece went earlier than he thought, he wasn't ready for it to go, hence his line was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Disagree.

There are times when leaving the right stub in the right place can be a great help.

I'm not talking about leaving a stem looking like a porcupine, just the one or two stubs you might need at some point later in the climb, be that for work positioning, rope postioning, flipline positioning or natural crotch rigging.

To just say 'dont leave stubs' as a general rule is a bit short sighted.

If you look at the video it wasn't the stub that caused the accident in the first place it was his cutting and his work positioning. The piece went earlier than he thought, he wasn't ready for it to go, hence his line was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I disagree with you and agree with dadio, I hate pegs and never

leave any, they are the work of the devil!!!!!

What happens if your line raps round a peg below you and you then cut yourself with the saw???

I would sooner have a pulley and whoopee sling sent up than leave a peg.

I know you hate them Huck, but I'm with Tim.

Short pegs left where you need them help me with most takedowns, especially for rigging and re-ascending.

Clove-hitching round pegs is a very real danger, though, and I am aware of this and position pegs accordingly.

For the record, I am slightly older than you, and slightly better looking, mainly because of my more ergonomic working practices and judicious use of ladders.

There are a few times when its good to leave a stub as a step or rigging point, but in general most stubs are left as a matter of poor work habits. His cutting technique looked questionable (as mentioned) looked like bad body positioning, and the cut at the top of that big bit looked "funny", though hard to say for sure with the picture clarity so poor.

As with most accidents it was a combination of mistakes that culminated in the injury.. Leaving the stub, not checking the line prior to cutting, poor body positioning and maybe others too.. perhaps if he had a dedicated groundie, that man would have seen the line snagged, in time to prevent it.