Anyone else tearing their Hair out??

Burytreeman

That's spot on Chris, but as a minimum charge.

I take the view that it costs me £90 just to walk out to my truck and start the engine. Why would I then drive 15 minutes to then work for 1-2hrs for £120?

For a job to be less than £160+vat it has to be on route to a bigger job and take less than 30mins. Simple.

thats fair enogh or if you can group several smaller jobs into a days work,ie 5 smaller pruning jobs in local area @ £100.00-£120.00/ job thats what we try to do nowadays to reduce running costs

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so how did you make an hours job last 3.5hr?

Because it wasn't on the clock, I take my time and enjoy it, it was for a family friend, I have an inexperienced groundie who also does it for enjoyment, it was a bit of a ball ache to get the line up [leaning tight into a conny which we couldn't damage] and we weren't chipping, the brash was cut & made into a neat little bonfire, we corded the light timber, logged & split the big stuff and stacked it all down the garden, and we stopped for a sandwich.... :001_tongue::biggrin:

If this had been for a 'civvy' I would have charged twice that for the same job... :001_tongue:

And Rich, sort of right, not so much starting out as not doing it day in day out. I've been working on trees since I was 16, I did my tickets in 1998 I think, I haven't worked full time 'in the countryside' since 2002.... :001_smile:

Some people lose on on mega bucks, I dont get out of bed Unless the job is more then £250 I simply will not make a penny on it Or the day will have to come to a total of £250 . for me to even think about it Van,Kit,Wage,fuel,etc soon adds up why should i lose out on money if people want work done on the cheap. I may only work 3days a week tops but i still make a profit and turn over more then the guy who undercuts me and needs to work 6days a week.

Obviously works well for you but my best earners are the sub £200 jobs, £90 being the best, in an out in half an hour.:thumbup:

As for the OP, never worth worrying about it, have a whinge and a proper whine then move on,well works for me!:001_smile: Your probably undercutting many others who will also do the above.

As Esther said 'That's Life'

My prices vary massivly.

Decideing factors.

TEA!

Thorns!

Access

Do I actually want to do job.

Are they shopping around.

Get priceing wrong sometimes, usually in large connifer toppings.

Prices seem to vary for three man team for me from about £280 (very bad day) to £1,000 (nice beer after work day).

So If it's a nice big job, not thorny, we can park chipper under tree, customer promises copious quantities of tea, they are phoneing around and the tree looks hastle free they mighy get me for £300 for the day.

If it's back garden hawthorn and ivy covered crud. Their garden is a maze of twisty archways and they are clearly pedantic about their herbacious borders, they clearly only drink vanilla smoothies. Its a grand!

Quoteing day or hourly rate is something that should be avoided at all costs.

Price the job, not the time. (anyone work in a similar way?)

Edited by Mr. Bish

My prices vary massivly.

Decideing factors.

TEA!

Thorns!

Access

Do I actually want to do job.

Are they shopping around.

Get priceing wrong sometimes, usually in large connifer toppings.

Prices seem to vary for three man team for me from about £280 (very bad day) to £1,000 (nice beer after work day).

So If it's a nice big job, not thorny, we can park chipper under tree, customer promises copious quantities of tea, they are phoneing around and the tree looks hastle free they mighy get me for £300 for the day.

If it's back garden hawthorn and ivy covered crud. Their garden is a maze of twisty archways and they are clearly pedantic about their herbacious borders, they clearly only drink vanilla smoothies. Its a grand!

Quoteing day or hourly rate is something that should be avoided at all costs.

Price the job, not the time. (anyone work in a similar way?)

:thumbup1:

OMG im so expensive!

We charge £250 - £300 for a morning and £500 - £600 for a full day

£100 for 3 1/2 hours work??? Surly not!!

Its not easy to get people to pay those prices in the NE! (have worked in north and south)

How many are working for that price? If we (2 of us) do a job in 2 days and charge £650, 4- could do it in 1 day, I suppose, so your price is about the same.

I think he's spot on with price we are a two man team we charge 500 a day thats for 1 climber 1 groundy truck and chipper. But alot of our jobs are priced, but if its a big job week or more we do it by day rate.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Because it wasn't on the clock, I take my time and enjoy it, it was for a family friend, I have an inexperienced groundie who also does it for enjoyment, it was a bit of a ball ache to get the line up [leaning tight into a conny which we couldn't damage] and we weren't chipping, the brash was cut & made into a neat little bonfire, we corded the light timber, logged & split the big stuff and stacked it all down the garden, and we stopped for a sandwich.... :001_tongue::biggrin:

If this had been for a 'civvy' I would have charged twice that for the same job... :001_tongue:

And Rich, sort of right, not so much starting out as not doing it day in day out. I've been working on trees since I was 16, I did my tickets in 1998 I think, I haven't worked full time 'in the countryside' since 2002.... :001_smile:

It was a take down; just put your spikes on!:001_smile: