I'm told this tree is safe...

haforbes

Question

I contacted my landlords (HRH) local land steward about this tree because I'm a bit worried about it as a big limb has already come down and the rest doesn't look great but they have assured me that it's safe and isn't likely to come down any time soon, but I'm not sure they have any idea what they're talking about so I thought I'd ask on here. It wouldn't worry me so much if it wasn't for the fact I took all these photos from a public footpath that is well used during the summer months. What do you think?

DSCN0206.jpg.0f72687dda4923b0f7930f7975d2170c.jpg

DSCN0204.jpg.cdb978686dcd49f773cb9c490a4253ba.jpg

DSCN0202.jpg.6094fa696ebbaa702a743eeffb2c1dc4.jpg

DSCN0201.jpg.26e488cc0b2cac114ea6225032d2a328.jpg

DSCN0200.jpg.af66736be2e95d62514c16fbca1d74ea.jpg

Not entirely convinced that we have any subterranean bats in the UK :confused1:

:biggrin:

I wasn't really referring to Bats all though I'm sure they would benefit some where along the food chain , but more as habitat creation for invertebrates which in turn will at some point benefit other wildlife such as Birds. I have come across this as a specification for disposal of cord wood with Habitat creation being the reason, :thumbup1:

Looks safe enough, safe to look at from 30 metre anyway.

Possibly a more helpful answer would be that from looking at the pictures it doesnt look too great structurally but as said above this is a great tree in terms of wildlife and habitat.

If it is in falling distance of a path (maybe if the top half were to snap off, this looks more likley from the pictures) then might be best reducing or felling it, but if not in danger of hitting a path or road this should be left alone.

Only my thoughts and it is aways difficult specifying work from pictures.

Its pretty knackered, if any part of it could reach the path in the event of it falling then I would fell it. Otherwise its a nice habitat tree.

Or fell the leader at the point where it has split and leave the rest standing as a monolith...