Reliability Stihl Ms261 Husky 346xp NE

Kay 9

Hi all, first time poster long time reader. Ok folks, I'm shopping for a new saw in the 50cc category. I like both of the above as I have had a go on both, big thing for me is reliability. I do have a pull towards stihl but have nothing against the husky either. Think they are lighter. I want neutral opinions of which saw is most reliable. It will be used primarily as a firewood saw. Thanks lads, and ladies for all the expertise, love this site. Don't post much but follow. Another important point is which of these are easier work on etc if needed (used to stihls)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the prompt replies:) What kind of money is the 550xp running at versus the 346 and 261? I'm in Ireland, but will probably be purchasing from UK anyway. Only problem being one can't buy Stihls without being there in person I think. Is the 550xp giving any problems or is it pretty much tried and tested? Was also thinking of the 241c-m, supposed to be a savage little saw but like the 50 cube saws for the option of loading a slightly bigger bar.

hello kay 9, welcome to the forum. nice to have another galwayman on here.

i am on my 4th 346xp ,never had any problems with either. i bought 2 in january from o connors of cong , worked out only 20 euro per saw more than best uk prices (postage and weak euro soon eats into diffefence). no disrespect to site sponsors but i like to support local businesses where possible

hello kay 9, welcome to the forum. nice to have another galwayman on here.

i am on my 4th 346xp ,never had any problems with either. i bought 2 in january from o connors of cong , worked out only 20 euro per saw more than best uk prices (postage and weak euro soon eats into diffefence). no disrespect to site sponsors but i like to support local businesses where possible

At that rate not worth purchasing abroad. What kind of money was your last 346 in O'Connors and was it the new edition? I'm not far from them at all and have bought a saw there before:) Handy if ya need parts too. Brian and Dave are sound to deal with too. Ps. Thanks for warm welcome.

Edited by Kay 9

The Stihl you mentioned is having problems as stated . The 346 is tried and tested . The 550 is the 346 replacement and not been out long . Having said that it does not seem to be having a bad time so far ! I would go for a 346 if you can still get one 550 if you cant . This is based on me having a 346 . I also have a 560 which had some issues to begin with but all sorted now .the 550 is a smaller looking 560 and a cracking saw by all accounts so either Husqvarna bud . Welcome by the way . :001_smile:

Thanks for the prompt replies:) What kind of money is the 550xp running at versus the 346 and 261? I'm in Ireland, but will probably be purchasing from UK anyway. Only problem being one can't buy Stihls without being there in person I think. Is the 550xp giving any problems or is it pretty much tried and tested? Was also thinking of the 241c-m, supposed to be a savage little saw but like the 50 cube saws for the option of loading a slightly bigger bar.

£14 difference.

I can't comment on the 261 as I've never used one, but all I can hope is it's better than any of the other small stihls I've used in the past.

Out of the two I'd sway towards the 346.

However, the 550 is the same money as the 346 (or should be if you know your dealer well) and will blow the socks off the other two. I've had my 550 a couple or 3 months now and it's doing well still. Out of the box they have loads of zip, but once the auto tune beds in properly it just gets better and better.

Geometry wise it reminds me of the old 242 and it's lighter than a 346 as well.