yale xtc blaze or tacchyon

monkey boy

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tim

"Yale XTC rope is the only rope to be given the A grade standard under the new RTC banding system, everything else is either B or C. 3 Strand Nylon is F, Multiplait is Z. Beal Baobab didn't even register as it was so bad."

Just wondered if you have any links to this new system/standard. I've not heard about it & would be very eager to find out more.

Cheers

Nod

i love the tacchyon, i was not aloud to climb on static line. so this is meant to be the least stretchy climbing rope on the market. i'm all for not bouncing up and down on a rope. less stretch more efficient use of energy. still would rather climb on static, but rules are there for a reason.

i find tachyon pretty bouncy though especially when your around the base of larger trees......compared to scorch wich has gotta be pretty simular to blaze ,just brought some tachyon to replace the fly i cut!i quite like it ,more than when i first tryed it any way...seems to slack tend with a vt quite well wich is all that worries me but im not a fan of 11m ropes unless its deep winter and i need to wear gloves for climbing,like now!

• 2 weeks later...
your problem is that tachyon is 11.5 rather than blaze at 11.1mm

try using your other clutch

also blaze is a bit firmer

Maybe, but I've climbed on Blaze for a couple years now, and like it. Just got some Tachyon, and like it even better. I find it to be a tad stiffer than Blaze. They both work very well!

i love the tacchyon, i was not aloud to climb on static line. so this is meant to be the least stretchy climbing rope on the market. i'm all for not bouncing up and down on a rope. less stretch more efficient use of energy. still would rather climb on static, but rules are there for a reason.

That's funny. All arborist climb lines are pretty much static lines. In fact, many lhave ess stretch than most so called static lines, which are primarily made for rescue, caving, and top rope rock climbing. Snake Bite, I believe, is a very low stretch static line. And New England Safety Blue (the first 16 strand climb line-I got my first in the late '70's) stretches 3% under body weight. Blaze and Velocity are two of the lowest at 1.1%. That's low. Don't fall on them!!

Full static lines, made from spectra or dyneema (High Molecular Weight Polyethelene)have near zero stretch. They're not for climbing, but lifting, winching, and pulling.

Edited by rbtree

New England Safety Blue (the first 16 strand climb line-I got my first in the late '70's) stretches 3% under body weight.

Didn't know New England tree climbing ropes had been around that long. My first tree climb in 1996 was on 3 strand climbing line with 3 strand prussik loops, thought it was great. The following year someone introduced me to N E Safety Blue with homemade kernmantle prussik loops. The following year I tried Yale XTC red and white with Blakes and have been climbing on it ever since. Any idea how old Yale XTC is? Was it designed by Don Blair?

Edited by scotspine1

Hi Tim

"Yale XTC rope is the only rope to be given the A grade standard under the new RTC banding system, everything else is either B or C. 3 Strand Nylon is F, Multiplait is Z. Beal Baobab didn't even register as it was so bad."

Just wondered if you have any links to this new system/standard. I've not heard about it & would be very eager to find out more.

Cheers

Nod

are you going to answer nods question tim?