Windblown trees

What do they teach on the wind blown course? I've been dealing with them one way or another since I was about 16-17 with no training of any kind I the early days and feel they're just something you learn to handle with common sense and experience as no two are the same how can class room stuff help?

DITTO.

With wind blown trees you learn with every one you do.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The windblow course is not in the classroom for one . Its a very much hands on practical course to make students aware of extreme compression and tensions windblow trees come under .

Great if youve tackled such things at a young age and developed a feeling for this but many people have not had this opportunity and I'm sure they would come away alot more initiated for want of a better word for attending this course .

no two windblows ever act the same way, unless you fully understand tension and compression and how it alters and efects the tree as you cut through it, stay well back from them, go do the course, its a very usefull skill to learn, and with a lot of the big hardwoods that are coming down in the storms these days, it might just save your life.

A good way to learn about the tensions in wood is to watch someone milling a twisted bit of timber, and try to work out which way it will twist as it comes off the saw, not always as easy as it sounds

as Billy above I have no formal training in windblow just 35 years experience and always found a tangle of spruce in the middle of a forestry block a very dangerous place to be but a single hardwood can be just as big a challenge -on this estate we try never to cut down a standing tree so all the firewood comes from windblow , I always try to get the rootplate back ASAP as they go back much neater the quicker you get to them I will get some pics of three large spruce which have been over and put back up beside farm road all with about 30 ft stems on them and have grown away again - on a lighter note did a clump of 5 silver birch a couple of months ago - took off the small branches then nibbeled at the trunks untill I picked up the main stem with one hand and shoved it back upright . will fell the rest when I get time

Windblown trees are probably the most dangerous of trees to work on so be extremely careful when doing so. The course is practical and not classroom stuff and it will open your eyes to many things you probably never thought of. If you are under orders from the estate to clear the windblows then they are taking a big chance and an illegal one i would say (someone with more law knowledge can correct me on that). When i did my multiple windblow ticket the instructor set up some demos of trees under huge tension and i can assure you that after the exploding wood had settled and the underpants were changed it is something i will never forget and i will always be extra careful around windblows. GET THE TICKET AND DONT BE FOOLISH!