MS 660 Back to the factory, chain brake handle getting hot!

Jonny Burch

mine has melted twice in 5 yrs. The last time was about 3 weeks ago when it was used to chog down a large leylandii trunk. the chain brake goes on fine but you couldnt switch it off with the chain brake handle. About £17 for new handle and half hour to fit.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that My 660 was the best thing since my 460 just got the old girl out of mothballs as the 660 is unusable.

Been back to the dealers but its still like paper mashy when its hot therefore unusable chain brake (oh they have never seen this before just the last time I took it in) a very reputable dealer.

Well its a testimony to all the dealers at least they are consistent and all say "Strange I've never seen that before, its a good saw though" err but when is a saw not a saw mmmm?

Strange that most of them read the posts here and Advertise.

It would be good to have the manufacturer replace the saw with one that works.

:thumbdown:

Yeah I think it must be a stihl dealers response ... I went in to one at the weekend for a new shaft on a combi hedge cutter and laid in to them as I have gone through 4 now .. Strange your the only one who seems to have this problem, was my reply....Hmmm maybe it was even stranger that 2 mins later some one else walks in with the same problem, I could not be bothered too argue my point but got a bargain :)

Reference getting a big husky I am seriously tempted. Recently got a 242xp and apart from a few small issues from the fact it's been sat around doing nothing for a few years it's great! Also thinking about a 560 to replace my 361. Maybe it's the way forward?!

RE 660 hot handle.

Ah ha Just spoke to Stihl UK and guess what they had never heard of this problem.

However they said that they would investigate the problem if the saw is returned via any Stihl dealer with proof of purchase, they will return the saw and here I quote "hopefully like a new saw" with a report and finding on the problems. They asked what I thought the problem was? Doh I'm just a designer and Lumberjack what would I know, this was the technical department getting technical.

So my new Alaskan mill will just have to wait for a saw. Not happy!

Oh I thought Stihl was pronounced as it looks apparently not its Sccccilll hey ho I'm stupid though. So I have a Scccill M(u)S(hy)660 :thumbup1:

Reference getting a big husky I am seriously tempted. Recently got a 242xp and apart from a few small issues from the fact it's been sat around doing nothing for a few years it's great! Also thinking about a 560 to replace my 361. Maybe it's the way forward?!

I don't want to get into a SvH war , its been done to death . I have one Stihl , ms200t and its great . The rest of my saws are the big H . From a 346 ( spud tuned ) to 560, 372,390,395, and a 3120 . I can vouch for them all . I can't knock any Stihl ground saws as I don't have any . If you wan't a 560 go for it . Had problems with mine to begin but all sorted now . If poss get a 2012 model rather than an older 2011 saw . When/if you get one it suits 15" to 18" bars best . You have to set the auto tune . It tells you in the book . Not all dealers are aware of this ( mine wasn't) They are absolute flyers . I still get a grin on when using mine . Good luck what ever .