Most relivant work out to climbers?

Arran Turner

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

climbing will only make you so good until you need to add assistance exercises. Look at sprinters..you think they just practice running to get fast.

All rounf tree work strength is what you should be after anyhow..not just climbing strength. Lifting big logs, splitting wood, all that stuff means you need strong core and legs. Also with a 660 hanging from your harness its good to have strong legs to support the weight for several hours while spiking.

try these

Barbell press.

Deadlift.

front squats.

tactical pullups.

c.o.c grippers.

Cross training will give you additional strength, and balance your physique so you will be less prone to injury and muscle-skeletal problems in future. check out a few crossfit routines too. also a bit of recreational climbing in nice light boots and regular trousers will help with technique and good work positioning.

Eat well and relax when in the tree....

Hope this helps

Had a shoulder problem a year ago know and went to see a physiotherapist and she gave me some exercises to do which I thought were easy till I tried them, they were holding exercises like yoga bloody hell did it hurt. Muscle is heavy so inner strength is what you need.

• 2 weeks later...
tactical pullups?

Tactical pullups is keeping a hollow core and sucked in shoulder blades through out the whole movement - Makes it around 50% harder...but it is correct and healthy way to do pullups / chins

Thumbless grip and the feeling of being in a "vertical plank" with each rep. Glutes, abs, lats, etc are all engaged before the pull

• 5 months later...
I would recomend going to alot of Raves.

bit off a old thread but the above doesn't work. I do it everyweekend and it sucks the energy out off me. Hence no work Monday. But t,w,t,f climb climb climb and its great exercise

Been unwell for a month and i lost a stone in wieght recently

I've put on half a stone since then . I'm now 9 n a half , hence why im looking to get fit again searching on here,knees,back getting weak but before very fit.

The only exercise a rave gives me a serotonin release

There are specifics and generalities with fitness.

Generally one should do some exercise;working, gym,swin,walk,run etc. Eat a reasonably balanced diet, get some quality rest and work on flexibility.

As was mentioned with sprinters, they have a <10 second event and will spend many hundreds of hours in the gym pushing weights, climbing stairs and general fitness.

The main challenge is that we don't all respond to external stimuli in the same way and some have it easier with their inherited physiology.

Some folk are built to climb and some aren't. Some folk have a natural ability to climb and some don't. Some learn and some don't. Some break and some don't. some recover quickly and some don't. The list goes on and the variabilities increase.

If you find you fall into the category of someone built to climb with natural ability, learn well, don't break often and heal quickly if you do you're in with a shout.

If you're thinking of doing extra curricular fitness then, IMO, you should start slowly and build in to it. Working harder at work is good, though with the caveat that you are rewarded for it. As climbers we use a particular set of muscles and these can over develop causing issues of imbalance. It'd be good to speak to a trainer and get some exercises that develop some of the antagonistic muscle groups that are not used so much in your day to day work. This will balance your whole and reduce injuries.

Stretching and rest are very important for fitness, boring I know, but there you are.