Softwood

Al Baker

I normally burn Birch, oak, Beech and Rowan.

All hardwoods.

In mid winter I get through 1 wheelbarrow a day to keep the house at about 17'C.

Last year I got my hands on a load of Larch. Pretty good as softwood goes for burning.

I had it stacked and seasoned over the last year and just started burning it.

Now it's been a while since I burned softwood on my stove and now I remember why I quit.

I was a bit shocked actually. Burning 3 barrow loads a day and only just managing to keep the house at around 14'C.

Once again softwood is banned from my log piles. It's a no brainer.

I was a bit shocked actually. Burning 3 barrow loads a day and only just managing to keep the house at around 14'C.

Once again softwood is banned from my log piles. It's a no brainer.

There's something wrong with your stove, your wheelbarrow or your drying. We heat a 4 bedroom house exclusively with Sitka and/or Scots pine, the living areas are usually around 20-21 degrees and the worst case is one barrow a day.

You will burn a larger volume of softwood than hardwood, but provided the wood is dry the weight should be about the same.

There's something wrong with your stove, your wheelbarrow or your drying. We heat a 4 bedroom house exclusively with Sitka and/or Scots pine, the living areas are usually around 20-21 degrees and the worst case is one barrow a day.

You will burn a larger volume of softwood than hardwood, but provided the wood is dry the weight should be about the same.

Agree totally. I burn nearly all softwood as I can get higher prices for hardwood sales per m3. Really needs to be less than 20% MC and then have very good air control on the stove to stop all the heat just roaring up the chimney

Well the wood is bone dry, the barrow runs nicely and tire pressure good.

So maybe it's the stove then right?

I remember you guys extolling the virtues of softwood in here before so I tried the "fast burn" thing and the slow burn and the in between burn but I guess it's like Mr Spruce says , you have to burn the same weight of timber in order to get the same heat.

hence 3 barrows a day instead of one.

I would prefer to burn Birch, but currently running on Lodgepole, I try to keep the chunks larger to slow the burn a bit, cos I am too lazy to replace the rope seals, and the stove is a trifle "leaky" but all is good.

I am happy with the way it burns weight for weight.

PS

I thought I was the only one bringing firewood in, in the wheel barrow:lol:

I thought I was the only one bringing firewood in, in the wheel barrow:lol:

My barrow goes from the stack out on the decking, straight through to the stove in the Kitchen. I had it in mind when I built the house.

I wonder how many more of us in here Barrow it straight to the business end.

Damn I just noticed it's trying to snow again.....I need a bigger barrow maybe.