"Health and Safety Issue" idiots!

Jon Hartley

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dependent on how you foresee your future relationship with this client, I'd be tempted to tell them to shove it! (quite politely, obviously :lol:)

They engaged you to carry out an activity that intrinsically results in wood fragments mixed in with loose soil. Unless there were any conditions about the end result you have carried out the task to a reasonable and acceptable standard!

next time make sure you have an exact spec of what is being done written down and that the housing association have a copy so when they come along and complain say it was done to spec and they can pay for the extra work.

Exactly. Grinding is just grinding. Removing is not the same as grinding.

I do stump grinding. I can remove the stuff, but thats extra and the original quotes/spec are very clear. Also removing soil and woodchip/shreds from one site just to put them in another to decompose is contrary to my environemental policy, thats burning diesel for no reason, and I dont like working for clients who dont give a dam about the environment, especially government bodies, they need to be looking at their carbon footprint..................

I could go on, usually the client has given up by this point.

Awkward situation man, especially as they are such a big client. I reckon that an additional charge would have been reasonable, pointing out the original specs exact description of works. This is definatly an 'extra', and being driven by your clients client too.

Maybe leave a pack of sandwiches for the kids, then they'll be less inclined to eat root and dirt.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you, assuming the hand is quite large and its pockets are jangling.

We had a case a few years back with an amount of over-hanging vegetation that we cut back from a housing association boundary for the HA. Turned out to emenate from a private house and when tidied up and affected a proper pruning cut on a small branch that was pushing the boundary fence over, which relieved the pressure on the fence, the whole site and the tree looked much better.

Not according to the tree owner. The foot long stub we cut off was criminal damage and to keep her and the HA sweet it cost us about £2k. New fence, (bespoke), new tree etc, (it was only a crappy sumach).

Point was we kept the HA in the loop and gave them no headache and dealt with it. We still work for them on all their trees and the incident was 4+ years ago.

So the points about very clear specification for the client and the team are very important as well as taking your medicine from time to time.