Is there a northern Spudulike?

growforest

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a few saws need help with in North Yorks. Wondered if there was a local Spudulike-type saw doctor on here who would do a good job? I'm fed up with dealers: long delays; over-priced; patronising mechanics.

Husky 272 XP to tune up; 066 to fathom; MS180 refurb.

Cheers.

get a whole vvan load of saws then persuade spud to have a working holiday up north

Got a few saws need help with in North Yorks. Wondered if there was a local Spudulike-type saw doctor on here who would do a good job? I'm fed up with dealers: long delays; over-priced; patronising mechanics.

Husky 272 XP to tune up; 066 to fathom; MS180 refurb.

Cheers.

....you mean the dealers- like the dealers that spend a fortune on sponsoring this website, and (with all due respect) spudulike that doesn't, but touts for business on here with no apparent reciprocal return.

...just a thought.

....you mean the dealers- like the dealers that spend a fortune on sponsoring this website, and (with all due respect) spudulike that doesn't, but touts for business on here with no apparent reciprocal return.

...just a thought.

Yeah but he has got a point about the dealers! I know they need to make a living and all that but I have yet to find one that I think is decent and worth the money you spend at them?

I get my parts from a few advertising on here and always will as stihl have it that way, I just don't pay there labour charges for doing what I always find is an easy job.

But then not all people have the mechanical knowledge that spud or garden kit has on here, if you notice spuds threads they are not about replacing with new parts but 99% upgrade or refurb.

Dealers I know will just order new parts and fit them! A lot like most car garages etc it is easier for a dealership to just simply replace parts than to do some engineering and repair a part??????.?

....it's not simply done because it's easier. It's done because of liability and a paper trail. If you fit a new components and it fails, the garage has a come back on the manufacturer/supplier whereby a repair or fabrication by the garage if it fails, falls on the shoulders of the garage.

If people wen't in the habit of suing all and sundry, then you would see more engineering (or professional bodging)

No, got nothing to do with incompetence at all. As the owner of a reasonably large dealership I employ 6 full-time mechanics. All fully skilled and are quite capable of repairing rather than replacing if the options there. However as the person whos name is above the door it is my responsibility to guarantee any repair we do as best as I can. By removing as many variables as possible I can be more confident with my guarantee. Should a repair to a component fail, then potentially it could cost me thousands and the buck stops with me. If a recently fitted new components fails then I can pass that buck further up the tree of supply.

Furthermore- depending on your labour rate, then in most cases nowadays the additional labour to repair a component can easily outweigh the lower labour of simply and quickly fitting a new unit. Briggs and Stratton carbs are a prime example. When they cost £60 or £80+ to replace we could afford to spend an hour or two re-building them, now however they retail around the £18-£25 mark and can be changed in 15 minutes. With our labour rate of £38 per hour plus vat it doesn't take much to calculate it just isn't worth re-building them.

Edited by pleasant

...just a thought.

....it's not simply done because it's easier. It's done because of liability and a paper trail. If you fit a new components and it fails, the garage has a come back on the manufacturer/supplier whereby a repair or fabrication by the garage if it fails, falls on the shoulders of the garage.

If people wen't in the habit of suing all and sundry, then you would see more engineering (or professional bodging)

No, got nothing to do with incompetence at all. As the owner of a reasonably large dealership I employ 6 full-time mechanics. All fully skilled and are quite capable of repairing rather than replacing if the options there. However as the person whos name is above the door it is my responsibility to guarantee any repair we do as best as I can. By removing as many variables as possible I can be more confident with my guarantee. Should a repair to a component fail, then potentially it could cost me thousands and the buck stops with me. If a recently fitted new components fails then I can pass that buck further up the tree of supply.

Furthermore- depending on your labour rate, then in most cases nowadays the additional labour to repair a component can easily outweigh the lower labour of simply and quickly fitting a new unit. Briggs and Stratton carbs are a prime example. When they cost £60 or £80+ to replace we could afford to spend an hour or two re-building them, now however they retail around the £18-£25 mark and can be changed in 15 minutes. With our labour rate of £38 per hour plus vat it doesn't take much to calculate it just isn't worth re-building them.

I agree entirely.:thumbup1: