vosa check today

nick channer

was on my way down M4 in artic this morning to pick load wood up and take to new forest when vosa decided to check me out...

first time i've ever been pulled over by them and have to say it really wasnt that bad..

told me off for not filling my tacho's in properly.. cleared several questions up that i had re drivers hours.. breaks etc.. checked lorry and trailer over.. gave me a GV9 for front indicator not working [which meant couldnt drive lorry away till fixed] lucky it was only a bulb... took 45 mins in total and i was on my way..

never checked diesel tank or asked a single question about my restricted o license...

they have a job to do and were very helpful...

vosa use a 'traffic light' system for 'o' license holders, this is based on annual test pass rate, roadside check history etc, because a GV9 was issued you will probably now be on amber, this is nothing to worry about but you will be likely to get more roadside 'attention', if nothing else is found & your annual test rate is good then you will soon be on the green light, this will mean you are considered a 'competent' operator, generally you get left alone!

if your restricted license is a relatively new one you will most probably get a paperwork/tacho check within the first 12 months, after that it is luck of the draw for an inspection.

i can understand why they have such a bad name but they are there for good reason.

Been stopped a few times but luckily all on the way to jobs not on the return.:001_smile:

Some are idiots and some just your normal decent human being.

One time an idiot was going to take me off the road due to an indicator not working on the chipper, his mate who was a normal human pointed out that the lights on my truck were working fine and clearly visible so I shoudnt be stopped waved me on.

Sheer luck of the draw and nothing more.

VOSA do dip tanks, well they did when i was stopped in a fast trac

Are you certain it was VOSA and not a joint check? Who stopped you? Plod?

VOSA don't have the power to prosecute for fuel offences

Some police traffic units carry presumptive tests but prossecutions rely on evidentiary tests on lab standard kit carried out by VOSA.

yes defo VOSA, he followed me to where i was hauling to and told me to reverse in off the road then went through everything on the tractor and trailer, he gave me a GV10 i think it was because he reckoned there was too much gap in the hook of the pick up hitch, he dipped the tank ( it was running on red ) and told me i should be on white, read me my rights and told me to unhitch the trailer and leave it there, my employer at the time made an appointment for them to come out to the office to explain the laws and regulations, not sure what happened but i didnt hear any more about it, this incedent was a few years ago so not sure what the score is now.

So what "powers" do each of the various bodies have?

At one point, VOSA didnt have the power to stop you on the road and needed plod there to stop you, then they could check you out. I seem to think this may have changed now though?

In Lyn Eds case, I believe if you had got off the road and onto private land, VOSA couldnt have done anything to you. That also may have changed now.

Customs didnt used to have power to stop, but they had power of access onto private property(and impound)

So is there anyone with an upto date list or link as amny things have changed over the last few years, and unfortunately it is upto "us" to know what the latest regs are?