rookie day rate?

geoff26

The trouble with that is, if everyone said £100 across the board, that's the price end of.

You'd still get people saying "well I'll do it for £80" to get the work, then 70 then 60, then doing it for the wood or free for experience, stupid people working for nothing are killing it these days! Not the guys employing them

I have had calls with rookies with less than 2 years exp asking for £80 a day..and when they tell me how much they want i am not interested...this is people who are unemployed calling around for work..but asking silly rates....and in turn losing work because they over value themselfs.

rookie gets exp and a chance to climb and learn..when they start making money for a business then they will get paid more ..simples.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so you get paid £70 a day

get paid holidays and all equipment supplied plus PPE

Turn up for work on time

Spend 15mins loading up

90 minutes travelling to job.

Stand around while climber starts making a mess.

Do max 4 hours graft then get back in vehicle and get driven back.

Working outside

working in a team doing dangerous 'man' work

Sounds a good wage to me

Better than internet grocery round up at Tescos.

or McDonalds- where every second counts

Are there better jobs out there

I sometimes get paid £70 a day, im self employed, supply all of my own PPE, saws, fuel etc. By the time I have taken out travelling costs, TAX, fuel for saws etc etc im lucky if I have £45 in my pocket but for a good 8 hours work but I`m happy to do it as its better than nothing. We would all like to earn more but thats life!:)

Like alot of you are saying alot depends on where you are based, if i get a climber in for a day to help me i pay £100 day rate with his own climbing kit and top handle, or a groundie who just turns up with his own ppe and his lunch lol about £80 a day! im based around harrogate area!! There is alot of good climbers willing to work for this in my area any more and i think its difficult to win jobs!!

What if back in 1986 there were guys who needed every penny for bills and food who needed £1.50 an hour just to survive, yet you were happy to go in cheap and still waste a high percentage of your wage.

donkey work is donkey work, and will always be minimal pay, it's the bottom of the ladder, some may decide to stay on that rung for 20 years, but it's still the bottom of the rung reguardless.

there is lots of money and good customers out there, you just have to go and find them.

good luck:)

I was stupid working for £1/hour. That's something I fully recognise now and that has basically lead to me being taken advantage of for most of my life since! I was straight out of college and gave up the chance of going to uni back then just because a mate's dad was paying me £1/hour to work with his lads on a big water board maintenance contract. Recently one of those 'mates' I worked with back then took advantage again, by charging me top whack for 2 climbers and turning up with just himself and his daughter's inexperienced teenage boyfriend, then taking two days (and charging accordingly) to do what someone else could do in one day. I kick myself when I look back at what I did for £1/hour and what I gave up for it, and it all came back to me when one of these 'mates' took advantage again. It's really made me take stock of things which is why I flipped with him and also why I won't take the mick with anyone who works for me.

You're right, donkey work is donkey work, but I'm refusing to do down the route of bunging someone £50 cash for a day of donkey work to subsidise their job seekers allowance or whatever. As far as I'm concerned, if the customer is happy with my price that's cool because within that price I've included good money for the people doing the work. If the customer isn't happy with my price then I'll discuss it with them to see if job spec can be changed to reduce it, or someone else can do it.

Mind you, when I end up completely broke, I'm sure I'll jump at the chance for a tenner a day!

when i started working for my girlfriends dad doing general labour/fencing/board walks etc, i was being paid £65/day. that was 7 years ago and i was 19ish with no experience or knowledge. he has always appreciated hard work and the people at the bottom getting a fair wage. it soon went up to £80, now i get £100+ if i help him out.

i really do think it is insulting paying someone just over minimum wage for a hard days work.

I'm currently sitting at home doing sweet chuff all, and have been for the last 6 months. Without my insurance payments, I am "earning" more at home than some of you are sweating your butt off, running saws and vans and paying for fuel every day. This is where things have gone wrong, seriously wrong. There s no way I should be better off than someone working for his keep. Some of you really need to re-evaluate yourselves and your lives, what are you really are worth. and those employing, ask yourselves what your guys are really worth to you. This economic blip will not last forever, things will turn around, and those who have kept workers on low minimum wages, yet turned a fat profit will lose out when the staff abandon them for riches found elsewhere. These things always happen in cycles, and it will come around again.

I have had calls with rookies with less than 2 years exp asking for £80 a day..and when they tell me how much they want i am not interested...this is people who are unemployed calling around for work..but asking silly rates....and in turn losing work because they over value themselfs.

rookie gets exp and a chance to climb and learn..when they start making money for a business then they will get paid more ..simples.

depends what you class as a rookie and what they do...

please continue... :001_smile:

I started on 50 a day. Worked for the same person for 4 years, I now get 80 per day. I am more than happy to stand behind a chipper throwing branches at it all day and dragging timber about for it.

I rarely use a chainsaw and I don't climb trees. Never needed to.

I also have other sideline jobs about to top up my earnings and it's always nice to have a few cash jobs or work about, all my wages touches the the bank and gets declared but the cash work doesn't as I see it as not worth it. Tax man gets his cut every year and sometimes I get a rebate.... Rarely.

Work is work and there is nothing more I love than the feeling of going home at the end of the day tired and aching coz that way I know I have put in a good days work, if I don't ache or not tired I haven't worked hard enough and I get no satisfaction from it, been that way all my life since i started helping out at a farm at the age of 11.