Husky 346xp or 550xp?

Purplem00se

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yup - my tuning is done with a £1 screwdriver - God alone knows what is going on under the top cover of these new saws, it will be dealers prices on these saw repairs if the computer goes tits up:thumbdown:

Not sure the auto tune is worth it, a couple of lads off this site are going to give my ported saws a run up against the latest 560XP - it will be very interesting to see how both the 346XP and 357XP compare to the 560!!

Yep, im with you on that one. How many cars can we service ourselves now?

I for one am happy not moving forward into the auto tune era, next we will have chains that sharpen themselves:001_huh: oh we got them too:001_tt2:

Sadly we live in a throw away world, when something plays up/breaks most rush out & buy new.

I prefer to fix things myself & not have to rely on a dealer who has to make ££ an hour.

Go for a saw that feels right for you, latest models with bells and whistles have to prove their worth over a few years in my book:thumbup:

Have to agree, if your starting out and will be running just one saw go for the tried and true 346xp, you will have enough on your plate to be test piloting a new saw.

Its like when you had to really drive a car, kids today cant drive for s**t. same with saws, when you progress to a 390xp? and the carb needs a tickle, will you reach for your ipod, or do it the old way?

550 is a great saw, but if i had to rely on just one saw for the next 12 months, 346xpg.

Took the spark arrester out of my 550 yesterday - made it even better. Seems a bit more crisper sounds less gargly.

Know what some of you mean regarding the 346 - but until you try a 550 you'll just not understand :lol:

Way I look at it, if mine starts to become a problem once it's out of warranty, it'll go on ebay and I'll buy another new one. Admittedly, I was anti next generation saw initially and then I tried one and all was forgiven :001_smile:

According to the dealr, the only thing the computer is doing is the tuning - every thing else is just as it is on normal saws.

What's the longevity of a ported saw over a standard saw?

Difficult to tell without extensive tests but as long as the ports are bevelled properly then it shouldn't have any detrimental effect on the saws life expectancy.

One of the US guys ported an 026 and showed that by improving the flow of gasses, it ran a few degrees cooler than as standard.

Took the spark arrester out of my 550 yesterday - made it even better. Seems a bit more crisper sounds less gargly.

I take the spark arresters out of all my saws as a matter of course . Did set fire to a log pile one very hot and dry summers day a few years back though ! :blushing:

Hey guys, thanks for all of the advice, a lot there to take in. I've finally decided to go for the tried and tested 346xp, reason being I've used one quite a lot and have a good feel for the saw. I'll probably go for 550xp (or 560xp) in the future.

College is finishing in a couple of months, looking forward to the wide world (again!) and getting my saw :D

Hey guys, thanks for all of the advice, a lot there to take in. I've finally decided to go for the tried and tested 346xp, reason being I've used one quite a lot and have a good feel for the saw. I'll probably go for 550xp (or 560xp) in the future.

College is finishing in a couple of months, looking forward to the wide world (again!) and getting my saw :D

soon it will only be the 550xp,

hi all, i've just bought myself a shiny new 560 , i was made aware of the teething problems they've had but just couldnt resist getting one. previous to this i'd been using a 357 and to be honest couldnt fault it. i haven't used a 550 so cant really coment but if its a toss up between that and a ms260 then i'd go husqvarna all day long. and for those thinking of buying a 560 do be aware that there are niggles, mine had to go back in to the shop and came back with a throttle fault or something? but since has been working like a dream!

hi all, i've just bought myself a shiny new 560 , i was made aware of the teething problems they've had but just couldnt resist getting one. previous to this i'd been using a 357 and to be honest couldnt fault it. i haven't used a 550 so cant really coment but if its a toss up between that and a ms260 then i'd go husqvarna all day long. and for those thinking of buying a 560 do be aware that there are niggles, mine had to go back in to the shop and came back with a throttle fault or something? but since has been working like a dream!

Check out the post " anyone having problems with the new 560" Save us all doing it again . The story of mine is in there . :thumbup: