Stumps to remove, winch to remove stumps...

swinny

Evening all,

I've a job to do to remove some conifers and some stumps, access is good.

I plan to dig around the stumps and sever the roots, and have the pulling pressure applied via a winch to my truck....

I've been offered a couple of winches for not a lot of money and will do the job fine, but wondering which to go for....

one of them is a Yale hand winch..... one with a chain like a motorbike drive chain with a handle and ratchet system.... small and lightweight

the other is a tirfur, its old, cable is fraid and will need replacing at some point, hope the guy has found the handle! big heavy winch....

I know that tirfur are good winches, is it better to go for this and replace the cable at some point? and can you get spares if needed for the tirfur winch?

Cheers Chris

Evening all,

I've a job to do to remove some conifers and some stumps, access is good.

I plan to dig around the stumps and sever the roots, and have the pulling pressure applied via a winch to my truck....

I've been offered a couple of winches for not a lot of money and will do the job fine, but wondering which to go for....

one of them is a Yale hand winch..... one with a chain like a motorbike drive chain with a handle and ratchet system.... small and lightweight

the other is a tirfur, its old, cable is fraid and will need replacing at some point, hope the guy has found the handle! big heavy winch....

I know that tirfur are good winches, is it better to go for this and replace the cable at some point? and can you get spares if needed for the tirfur winch?

Cheers Chris

Ive got three brand new 20m x 16mm winch cables complete with eye for sale - pm me if youre interested in buying one. Cheers

Just got the tirfor just now :D will need to find out what model it is etc and how to service it etc..... clean internals and oil really.....

Spares are easy; the major arb suppliers all do them I think - certainly Jonesie and Honeys.

To clean it just pour chain oil through it - the more the merrier; you cannot over oil them. If that doesn't do the trick you then get someone else to take it apart and work on it!

And as you probably know 'any old cable' won't do; make sure it's suitable for Tirfors. That's not any kind of swipe at Essex Arborist by btw: I'm sure he knows his cables.