Going Freelance

martwizz

Ok ok, so i know there have been a load of threads about this, and i have read as many of them as i could find. But i dont feel like its quite answered everything i would like to know! Im going to start with a bit of an intro to try and give a good wodge of background info, it might allow for more specific advice :)

I have been to college for 2 years, and so i have an ND and cs30,31,38,39 mewp chipper grinder.

I have worked for 2 years for a large company with a LA contract. 18 months of that was grounding, for the last 6 months i have been a team leader and lead climber.

For a variety of reasons i have decided to resign from my position within this company. Pricing and bonus schemes meant that work was so fast, and many corners were cut on a regular basis. i felt that my job was not nearly as safe as it should be. The system also meant that the largest and most difficult trees would result in being paid barely over minimum wage. I know that this is not a get rich industry, but the risk versus the reward generally seemed a bit wrong to me.

I have probably given up a great many benefits that you all wish you had, such as paid holiday, sick leave and a corporate ladder. However the decision has been made and I am looking to move on.

LET ME GET to the point :P

So i have decided to move away from expensive london, back to my home on the isle of wight. Having done some research, there are roughly 8-10 dedicated tree firms, up to 15 firms who will do tree work as part of their overall services. As these are small firms, i cant bargain on any of them providing me with a job. The best idea to me seems to start out freelancing as a groundsman/climber (despite my little experience, i feel that i am a confident and competant climber).

I figure ontop of a few other gardening jobs i can help out with, i have a good shot at building up a relationship with these businesses providing help with larger jobs, build up trust and start making my way into the local industry. The ultimate aim of this would be to start my own company in the future, something i think i am fairly capable of. But rather than go ahead and just do it, i think a little more experience would be best :)

SO the plan is

- i have a climbing kit

- get a pickup/climbing saw/fuel can

- get insured

- start putting my name out there, get work for a fair but reasonably low price (£80 a day? I figure that would cover me for 60 and 20 for running costs)

- Once i start getting work, start building up additional gear that i can use to bring to the table, maybe as an incentive for my services (build up to something like GRCS?)

- Get to a stage where all i need is a truck/chipper/groundsman to start my own business

The questions i put to you:

-What kind of insurances do i NEED and what would you reccomend?

-What do i have to be careful of when being a freelance climber?

-Are there any general tips for going freelance?

-What do i do about declaring income... is it a bit of a grey area? (especially if im paid in cash!)

- I have all the contact details i could ever want, should i just ring people up and let them know im about? Maybe drop them all a flyer/business card as well?

-Am I insane? :biggrin:

If you've got this far, you've probably read everything! Good job! Anything you have to suggest would be Ace :thumbup1:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck mate, being freelance is a lot more about delicate work and not boshing out trees for G & T or City Sub.

I have worked with quite a few ex guys from above companies and some of them when confronted with flowerbeds, greenhouses, fences etc end up breaking them as they are not used to this type of work.

The main advice I would offer is to be honest of your skills. Don't big yourself up too much as you may come a cropper quickly. Likewise, don't sell your self short.

As I said, good luck.

Apart from insuring your kit and saws, any other insurance like PL would be a waste of money because it wouldn't count on jobs that aren't yours anyway.

£80 a day is stupidly cheap for a contract climber IMO.

Noone is going to book you in to take a stray limb off a 10' hazel!

If you start out really cheap you will find it hard to push your prices up as you become established.

£80/day - you're kidding?

Also, re declaring income - register as self-employed, do it properly. Understand that the more money you DON'T declare, the lower your income on paper looks. This can make it very awkward if you want to get a loan for anything, including mortgage, or if you want to start renting somewhere to live. You need to charge a proper rate so that you can cover everything properly including tax and NI to be properly legit.

Are you insane? Almost certainly :biggrin: anyone who wants to put themselves through the mill day in day out has to be!

I would say, on top of your little list, add sickness and accident insurance policies, you never know what little things life will chuck in your way!

6 months climbing experience and your a lead climber? Good on you, most places look for at least a couple of years.

£80 a day is far too cheap BUT your only as good as your work and to go free lance, IMO you have to be confident you can take down any tree in any situation (some exceptions to due to dead/disease etc) if you are and you can, charge accordingly mate and make sure you get paid what your worth.

The questions i put to you:

-What kind of insurances do i NEED and what would you reccomend?

-What do i have to be careful of when being a freelance climber?

-Are there any general tips for going freelance?

-What do i do about declaring income... is it a bit of a grey area? (especially if im paid in cash!)

- I have all the contact details i could ever want, should i just ring people up and let them know im about? Maybe drop them all a flyer/business card as well?

-Am I insane? :biggrin:

If you've got this far, you've probably read everything! Good job! Anything you have to suggest would be Ace :thumbup1:

1) insurance you don't need as the insurance of the company that hires you is what's needed. You can get other insurance for your body and equipment if you want.

2) be careful of bad groundies as you won't know what any of them are like till you start working with them so make your needs and orders clear.

3) always do a good job, they won't call you back otherwise.

4) keep receipts for everything and invoice all your work, 1 copy for you and 1 for your customer.

5)yes

6)yes

I love being freelance because you are free, that's the point I suppose:001_rolleyes:

If you are good you will be busy, you just need to show companies what you can do and that's the hard part. Getting your foot in the door is always difficult you just need to be persistent and push yourself.

Good luck:thumbup1:

Hi there I think it Wil not be easy to start with but if you are determined and are good at what you do ,you will do well .

The biggest thing for you to remember when subbing out as you are still quite new is allways to be completely honest about what you can do . It's much better allways to Down play your skills a bit and then you have room to manover and shine through as time progresses

. If you give it the all the big guns as soon as you walk through the door have to live up to your every word as soon as you get up the tree and more so giving you no room to move or any leeway

Its better not to go out for top dollar to start with it gives you room to show your qualities and not be under any massive pressure Allways be able to give more and do a better job then what's expected of you . If you can do it this way you will be on a winner from day one

Good luck and all the best

Littletree:001_smile: