Going Freelance

martwizz

I'd say don't cheapen yourself and don't get hung up on climbing!! I'm a climber but don't pretend to be a good one and i'm open about that. My background is forestry and i've only gone into arb in the past 2 yrs but i earn more on the ground than most climbers. Reason being is i'm an alrounder i can fell a 70ft tree in advers conditions, i can drive a tractor and operate machinary. I can tend ropes and have no problems with rigging. In the past i have taken the lead of other peoples teams while they had to go off site. I love climbing but if i can earn as much if not more on the ground then why kill yourself??

I've built up my arsenal of plant/machinary and now tend to sub out kit+me as groundy 2nd climber which increases my income dramaticly.

I'm not having a go at anybody but this industry does have an almost elitist attitude when it comes to freelance climbers. I've met some people who crack on to be veteran climbers and to be fair their not worth a carrot when it comes to getting the job done!!

And lets face it the smart climbers are the ones with their own companies that now pay someone else to climb for them!!

If i was you id prob look to secure a few days a week with a firm the fill your free days with freelance work. That way you have some security but are still getting yourself out there meeting and greeting fellow members of the arb world.

Last but not least UNDER PROMISE and OVER ACHIEVE!! If you go in there saying your the dog's bollocks and really you've been climbing for 6mnths you won't get anymore work from them full stop.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? :confused1:

Oh and this thread is old by the way :)

What happens when you've smashed your body after 20yrs of graft and can't hack running up tree's everyday?? Take up selling double glazing??

Would you employ a 55yrs climber with bad joints??

Cheers for pointing out the dead post i missed that bud.

What happens when you've smashed your body after 20yrs of graft and can't hack running up tree's everyday?? Take up selling double glazing??

Would you employ a 55yrs climber with bad joints??

Cheers for pointing out the dead post i missed that bud.

I've been climbing for 20 years and feel great :001_tt2:

I run my own business and the last person I would employ is a climber, the climber is the highest earner on site (generally) so I want that wage (plus my profit).

There are plenty of 55yrs+ climbers who would run rings around you (going off your own description of your climbing ability)