One reason I use Aspen

GardenKit

The harmful contents of petrol is why some new saws are being made with catalytic converters fitted, same as cars.

I personally chose to have my new saw set up on Aspen before collecting and my Dad saw is using it from new.As after I get through all the trees on my and my parents land, it will be used mainly for firewood and stood idle for long periods. The main reason for me is it's stability over time and not damaging the rubber internals.

The lack of any visible smoke or smell is a bonus.

Figgy

Ahh, but I never mentioned killing anyone, that was someone else. And if you notice I said "your health may suffer", not "will suffer".

There are all sorts of ways your health could suffer using petrol. Sure, you could breath enough benzene to cause leukaemia, but that will likely take a long time.

More likely that you will just be a bit more tired at the end of the day using petrol than you would be on Aspen.

Your chest might just be a little tighter after a day breathing petrol fumes, or you might have a bit of a headache.

You could possibly suffer all of these and not even be aware of it. But change to Aspen and there is a very reasonable chance that you will suddenly feel that be more 'alive' at the end of the day, but you won't know why.

Until you go back to petrol.

If you don't believe me, try it, but beware, you may be converted!

"May" "Health", its still smacks of scaremongering to sell a product.

Also the report cited says

Available data suggest that exposures to these

substances may reach unacceptable levels under

some working conditions

You will note the significance of "available data", it then goes on to recommend a raft of testing

And for the record I used Alkylate fuel exclusively for 4 weeks before going back to petrol and noticed no difference, so I have tried it, and I remain unconvinced.

I am afraid your efforts to convince are somewhat queered by the “might just save your life” angle taken by aspens rep.

I have nothing against alkylate fuel, in short make it affordable and available and I will use it. Anglo American aren’t refiners, they are retailers, they buy Alkylate from the refiners and badge it as aspen, if they can’t sell for less why is alkylate price comparable to petrol in other countries.

Hello,

I bought some to test it out and to keep in tools that where not used so often.

It was hedgecutting during the summer that I noticed the difference.

My eyes normally hurt, red and stinging and yes I feel less than great at the end of the day.

When I used Aspen my eyes where fine and I DID feel better overall at the end of the day although it did nothing for my aching arms!

We still don't use it on a daily basis as yet for most saws although I am thinking of putting it into the top handles, hedgecutters and stonesaw. Stuff used near the face or not very often.

Ty

"May" "Health", its still smacks of scaremongering to sell a product.

Anglo American aren’t refiners, they are retailers, they buy Alkylate from the refiners and badge it as aspen

Sorry if you took health references as 'scaremongering', I am certainly not that extreme.

The references are intended to provide information to any interested member. It is then their choice if they consider the use of Aspen or any other alkylate fuel.

You are correct that Anglo American are retailers, but wrong on a technicality. They do not buy Alkylate and badge it as Aspen. They buy Aspen fuel from Aspen and sell it in its original branding. It is the genuine thing.

I appreciate that you see no need for Aspen in your life at the moment and that is your choice, which I respect.

I also like our little 'debates' as they do wonders to bring more information out from various members, both positive and negative (depending on your point of view). This thread has over 8000 views, and I know for a fact that it has generated several new users.

I have just done a bit of googling on the subject of price.

Husqvarna sell genuine Aspen in europe. their 5litre cans seem to be retailing at 22 euros in France

Stihls motomix appears to at 22 euros in germany

And our Aspen is 21 euros here.

Found that interesting. Of course the prices may be a little out of date on the first two.

I have just done a bit of googling on the subject of price.

Husqvarna sell genuine Aspen in europe. their 5litre cans seem to be retailing at 22 euros in France

Stihls motomix appears to at 22 euros in germany

And our Aspen is 21 euros here.

Found that interesting. Of course the prices may be a little out of date on the first two.

Aspen is the same price as well in the Netherlands.

Seeing as pump fuel costs are different in all of those countries isn't that a little odd?