One reason I use Aspen

GardenKit

I use aspen in all my hand held equipment,it is expensive,but what price your health,the saws seem to run very well on it,& no worries it I leave the 3120 in the shed for a couple of months & then expect it to slog its guts out with a long bar,or my spare top handle to sit idle then spring into life.

Spot on about health Geoff, what most guys don't get is 'you can't man it out with CO fumes'. There is no way of using petrol hand tools without inhaling CO fumes, as a test once my wife who is a practice nurse tested me out with a CO meter and it showed a CO level of a smoker (and I use a resp mask most of the time). the Aspen fuels have a lower CO level so it helps.

I'm not talking about save the planet from global warming (that's mainly CO2)but later heath issues.

Spot on about health Geoff, what most guys don't get is 'you can't man it out with CO fumes'. There is no way of using petrol hand tools without inhaling CO fumes, as a test once my wife who is a practice nurse tested me out with a CO meter and it showed a CO level of a smoker (and I use a resp mask most of the time). the Aspen fuels have a lower CO level so it helps.

I'm not talking about save the planet from global warming (that's mainly CO2)but later heath issues.

do they

aspen fuels have how much lower CO levels

There needs to be some research on this funded independently

I would welcome definitive results

do they

I tried yrs ago to get some info from the HSE on CO fumes from hand held petrol tools but hit a blank - still not aware of any permitted working levels of CO fumes.

Just for info our red blood cells perfer CO (carbon monoxide) to oxygen but when full of CO these cells can no longer carry oxygen hence the effect of drowning, it takes about 6 months for the damaged red blood cells to be replaced.

Just for interest CO2 (carbon dioxide) is used by the body to trigger the need for another breath, hence the danger of 'hyperventing' it reduces the CO2 level so no breathing trigger - we just blackout instead.

Unfortunately I cam never see Aspen coming down in price unless fuel duty is reduced on it...

Sorry, bad news. Just had an email to say that the price of Aspen will be rising to £18.15 for 5litres of 2T effective 1st April. (from £17.60 currently) inc vat

So get your orders into to your supplier now to beat the increase.

I've never seen a bulb primer go that that from normal unleaded. I've got a Klippo mower with B&S engine that has a primer bulb, and no such issues at all after sitting all winter every year for past few years. The ONLY problem I have ever had from old fuel was in my enduro bike after it had sat unused for a year and I had neglected to drain the float bowl - some resin had come out of the fuel and lodged in the float needle so it wouldn't shut properly. Soon cleaned it out and all good again. As for oil separation, well I always use decent 2 stroke oil and again it's just never happened.

That primer bulb...... is there any chance the owner had tried to run to injector/carb cleaner through it or something?

That primer bulb...... is there any chance the owner had tried to run to injector/carb cleaner through it or something?

No, this is definately due to stale fuel, its something we see quite often in the trade, usually in machines which have not been used for some time. The stale petrol will be very dark in colour and have a very unpleasant smell, it will also be quite viscous.

As I said earlier, I would expect this petrol to be 12-18 months old, so when the customer came in today to collect the mower I asked her how long since she had used it, and she said she had been using it OK all last year.

I suggested she use Aspen, and during the course of the sales pitch to justify the extra cost, it turned out that a 5 litre can would last her about 2 years as she only has a very small lawn. Judging by that she would have bought that petrol in 2010, so little wonder she had problems.

As regards the oil separation of 2T mix, believe me, it does happen, this is why all operator books will tell you not to use a mix after 30days.

do they

If you feel up for it, go ahead and read an independent, scientific, peer-reviewed study available online, see http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/chainsaws/36441-how-many-people-use-aspen-3.html#post607340

The example pictured is extreme and the photos dont show the full effect. The rubber is slimy as though its melting, the melted rubber has gone into the carb passages,

Surely the real problem is the wrong material used in the carb's parts not the fuel?

Surely the real problem is the wrong material used in the carb's parts not the fuel?

Briggs have been producing these things for years and they are impervious to petrol, that is, to fresh petrol.

It has to be undestood that petrol is chemically 'unstable', it undergoes chemical reactions within itself which change its chemical makeup as time goes by.

It loses its original properties of combustion, volatility,octane rating etc as it ages and takes on an acidic nature which will attack materials that fresh petrol will not.

Pump petrol was never formulated to last, there is no need for it last normally. You buy it for your car today and its gone by next week.

In our industry, as well as the marine market this stuff sits around and changes into a useless gunk which causes costly repair.

Fresh fuel is no problem at all, but dont let it age.