Buy a chipper for 5k 'ready for work' then spend £1,600 fixing it :(

Jonny Burch

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you have it in writing that the seller will pay any bill in full for the machine to return it to a usable condition and that is the repair you have had done then send by recorded delivery a letter to the seller stating you have had the repair done (as agreed), the bill is £x and as per our agreement you have x days to settle this bill. If the bill is not settled by date x then I will be submitting papers to the small claims court.

You need to make sure that the work you agreed with the seller is the same as that carried out by the workshop. You do not want the seller saying he agreed to a new battery and small electrical repair and you have had a full overhaul done. You have bought a 13 year old machine not a new machine with warranty.

I would say the seller is expecting a bill for £80 battery and £60 circuit board. I dont think he will be expecting it to go to a main dealer to be returned to new condition. With a private sale its normally sold as seen.

Got to agree with sold as seen I'm afraid,

If you have genuinely been had over then I do feel gutted for you, however, with a machine of that age, I'd of check, double checked and then checked some more that all the major components were good.

Deep down I know I should have walked away And yes I do feel stupid for not doing so. Now the machine is working it's great and it will just take that little bit longer before I'm back in profit with it! I'm lucky that everything to do with the sale is in writing which hopefully gives me a case. Suppose I'll have to wait and see...

walk away

I don't think you will get any result on this

Put it down to experience.

Oh yes

set fire to his shed

Joking:001_tt2:

im of the same opinion, you should of run when he wanted 5K for a 99 entec far too much for that machine.

move on you have a working machine let it make some money.

Taking it to his yard/house and try to explain what you agreed and had now been done. Then maybe he might pay a contribution or you might come to a compromise.

Equally you might get nowhere! At that point weigh up your position, and subject to costs persue him for your loses or give it up as a bad experience.

As others have said: at least you now have a working machine - get it working!