Customer wants me to burn waste????

Arbre

My question is are there any restrictions on burning tree waste on customers site?

It was a regular thing before chippers became ubiquitous, turf up a bit of rough grass, burn arisings, go back and rake ashes next day and if cool replace turfs. not on Tuesdays as that was washing day.

He can get an exemption for burning up to 10 tonnes of plant material a day on an open fire as long as the plant material is produced on the site e.g. one cannot bring arb arisings to a yard and burn them.

In practice nothing is likely to be said as long as dark smoke is not emitted or

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit confused now, different opinions abound.

On Direct.gov website it says the following....

Bonfires and the law

There aren’t any specific laws against having a bonfire, but there are several laws that deal with the nuisance bonfires can cause.

I guess this relates to private bonfires in your own garden. but as long as no nuisance or danger, sounds ok to me.

I cant believe the fuss being made about burning brash on a farm.

If you are in a no burn zone or any other restrictions are in place (i.e next to a road, near other properties that will be affected, going to set fire to crops in the summer etc and issues that are nusiances) then there may be issues with burning.

You can burn whatever brash you like on your own land, just not material that came from another site.

Environment Agency - Paragraph 30 exemption

"The law does not require an individual acting in a personal capacity to register an exemption." Taken from the above EA link. Just make sure the farmer is about with you for a bit during the day and your away.

You can burn up to 10 tonnes a day of green material on site. Any more than that and the land owner will need an exemption from the Environment Agency, straightforward enough to get. I have burned several hundred tonnes on site in the last couple of years, on a site a bit like yours, difficult access and no-where to put chip or logs on site.

Keeping smoke off motorways etc is common sense, ie there are no specific rules covering it, but if you cause an accident then you will get prosecuted.

Get on to the EA if you need clarification.

Here is rather boring video clip of my last fire.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcn3Lozm-FM&context=C45782c4ADvjVQa1PpcFNjBqJSxHAvPdvDH6QEtZQ_1xh0jSyIC2o=]The big burn - YouTube[/ame]

Re Agricultural waste Exemption

NO 30 Burning waste plant tissue in the open

NO 27 Baleing compacting shredding pulverising waste at the place of production. You can cut it and pile it up just get him to tend fire as long as he has number 30 Exemption.:thumbup:

On one job I felled and burnt two large Beech trees, access was bad, we just cut up the lot and pilled it on the fire, used the blower to turbo charge the fire. In three days we felled and burn the lot.

I've burn on council jobs with no problems at all, as Peter says up to 10 tonnes per day.

But your smoke must not cause a "nuisance."