First time free climbing

huskydavid

I'd like to clear somthing up here, - I'm an avid rock climber have been for some time, Free Climbing is climbing with a rope, pulling it with you as you go, fixing protection as you go, you are free to climb in whichever direction you like, the other end being held by a belayer. What you all talk of as free climbing is actually Soloing, as in by yourself, no back up, you fail you fall.

Thank you for yer time on this matter :thumbup:

I would call what you describe as "lead climbing"

I've always know climbing without gear as "free climbing".

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love to free climb, I've been doing it since I was a kid. but it's not for everyone. I'm sure we'll see many more posts saying it's crazy but whatever. If your confident you can do just about anything.

Crazy, maybe, foolhardy, possibly, but isn't this sort of have-a-go attitude that bred some real men in this country before the onset of the H&S mindset? Capt Scott wouldn't have gone to the Antarctic, Hilary wouldn't have scaled Everest, we wouldn't have won the Battle of Britain and so on. Of course it's dangerous and risky, that's the whole point, sort of thing that puts hairs on your chest like wrestling crocodiles.

Of course, this is only my opinion and as such counts for nothing, and this sort of escapade has no place in the workplace!

I would call what you describe as "lead climbing"

I've always know climbing without gear as "free climbing".

Aye, you are leading, but you can lead on a sport route which has a pre determined direction, when you lead on trad (placing own protection on way) you are "free" to go where you chose, climbing without ropes is soloing.

some route in the past were done using aid, then better climbers came along and "freed" them, not using aid but climbing and placing pro. then better climbers came along and "free soloed" them.

Anyway its just a word and no one really cares.

Edited by Brett

If you are big enough to do stupid stuff then you are big enough to except responsibility if you mess up, but take a moment to think on those whom may depend on you, but by all means have fun! and don't come crying when you graze your knee.... as a rec thing fine as a work thing NO WAY is what i say.

I grew up climbing trees everyday since I can remember, right up to the age of 22 until I bought my first rope and harness, then I found it slow and awkward and very frustrating at first having to tie in. :001_rolleyes:

I have been well over 100 feet up a huge Sitka before, I never thought anything of it.

But now the thought of being up 1 without my climbing gear seems daft.:biggrin:

Good on you for having fun mate:001_smile:

Free (free of fixed protection) climbing means you climb placing your own protection ie cams, chocks, hexes etc as opposed to climbing using fixed (sport or bolt climbing) protection ie preplaced bolts.

Any climbing without any protection or rope is soloing.

Paul

Free (free of fixed protection) climbing means you climb placing your own protection ie cams, chocks, hexes etc as opposed to climbing using fixed (sport or bolt climbing) protection ie preplaced bolts.

Any climbing without any protection or rope is soloing.

Paul

so, rock climbing then. this is tree climbing. your after rocktalk.co.uk i think