oil leaking on my saw ??

predator

no but thinking what you,ve said could it be because my ms250 did,nt have a adjustable oil pump as i,ve never had this trouble in the past but where it lives on the shelf its coming from around where the oil pump lives is this normal for a ms260 to leak when standing as i,ve not used it after my close shave on my wellie so its sat for about 2 weeks now unused but noticed today oil on shelf at the clutch area but not had cover off to look etc is this a common thing on this model of saw to leak oil when standing unused

I would strip the bar off & clean the oil channel & bar rails,clean all the mating surfaces on the saw & see how it goes after that to start with,it could be oil residue from when it was last used creaping out,failing that I would strip the oil pump off & clean & check that.

hi predator.

as others have said, there will always be oil which drains from the oil feed passage, bar rails and from oil soaked sawdust.

however, they sometimes leak from the pump body if at any time the clutch bearing has failed allowing the clutch drum to run eccentric and touch the pump.

If this is the case, if you remove the drum, you will see a semi circular groove worn in the body with a tiny hole over the pump gallery. This will also reduce the oilers efficiency.

If the hole gets bigger the oiling will stop and the leakage will be significant.

Should this be the case a new pump will be needed and the drum/bearing repaired.

i recently sold a ms250 that was given to me and put money towards a secondhand 2008 ms260 but have only used it twice and today i noticed oil on the shelf where it sits theres not a lot but think the oiler maybe leaking can it be stopped ?????????

Mine does the same, pretty sure it leaks out the filler cap,can't see nothing wrong with it but leaves a small patch off oil if stored for a week or two. Can't offer any solutions other than leave the saw on it's side,filler cap up.

It is usually just a case of cleaning all the gunk out, taking the bar off and place on clean newspaper to see where it is coming from.

There is a connection where the oil feed pipe comes out of the tank and the oil pump compresses against it, leakage could occur there and believe an 026 also has a pipe pushed on to the pump that then feeds the oilway to the bar - if it is a real pain, remove all the side covers and clutch, clean it fully and leave it overnight to see where it is coming from.

Slight seepage is normal - possiblythe pump is set to max on a short bar causing over oiling - not a problem but would cause seepage.

You would expect oil to come out and then stiop if all is well - if it keeps coming, you have a leak.