Stihl ms241 c-m

normandylumberjack

I was anti primer bulb to start with , thought it might get punctured but it never has and I would not be without one now - for all the reasons above . :thumbup:

The Makita saws have a primer bulb too. Brilliant they are. Couple of pushes on the bulb, really gentle pull on the cord, quick blurp, choke off, pull and away ya go!

• 8 years later...
On 19/02/2012 at 19:46, WoodED said:

isnt it just a smaller 261? in which case would it have the same problems as the 261?

Certainly bloody seems to. This is my second MS241 that has developed crankshaft wear and started eating bearings after only light use. It's currently back at Stihl HQ awaiting 'evaluation'.

What's the best alternative brand equivalent? Can't seem to find anything else so light with so much power. It's an ideal digger cab saw.

Has anyone tried the Echo CS-501SX? At 2.57kw and 4.7kg dry it's pretty close to the MS241s 2.3kw and 4.5kg

Edited by doobin

16 hours ago, Stere said:

Makita ea4300 but its weighs more?

echo CS-501SX ?

You read my mind. Does anyone know if you can run 3/8 picco on the echo?

Also tempted by the Makita just because it's so much cheaper and I'm a big Makita battery tool fan.

Edited by doobin

On 28/07/2020 at 07:30, doobin said:

You read my mind. Does anyone know if you can run 3/8 picco on the echo?

Also tempted by the Makita just because it's so much cheaper and I'm a big Makita battery tool fan.

Update- called my local dealer and asked the question. A day later they called to say they'd fitted a 3/8 bar and sprocket to one for me to try. Went to look, got him to change it to 16" and a deal was done- there's service for you (DM Chainsaws- top guys)

Initial impressions are good. The main negative (and it's a big one for me) is that it's on rubbers, not springs, and it's noticeable after coming from an MS241. However I don't notice the small increase in weight so much, it's very fast (you can feel more power especially on small cuts) and it comes with a 2 year warranty which suggests they give more of a **************** than Stihl (not hard I know).

I hope if the crankshaft starts to wear on this after 13 months they will be more proactive than Stihl (still waiting to hear back on that one...)

Hope this helps someone.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone need some MS241 parts, let me know. I am parting this one out. It's has a bad control module far as I can tell, but I refuse to invest more in to it on general principle. New white fuel solenoid installed. Will idle, wont rev.

Update on mine- back from Stihl, repaired under warranty.

What's interesting is the report they send with it. They pulled up the hours and start count from the M-tronic unit. 78 hours use, 172 starts.

And they had the brass neck to refuse warranty upon such a low hour saw as it was two month out of 1 year until DM Saws kicked off on my behalf.

Not sure what to do with it. I think I'll make sure I'm happy with the Echo and then sell the MS241.

• Like 1