Is it illegal to use a chainsaw on someone else's land without doing cs30/31

Ted_165

I don't think I will be working on wind blown trees leaning on other trees but ones lying on the ground, whether that reduces the risk in your eyes?

WorsWuss has it right.

Hung up trees can be quite nasty but so can wind blown or windthrow/n or even felled broad leaves if your new to it.

I didnt mean to be condescending I just wasnt sure how much experience you have with tree work.

Just because a tree is on the floor doesnt mean its 'safer' to cut up than a standing tree.

Quite often climbers will drop a few lower limbs to make a fell clean up quicker ie also safer too.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are using saws, strimmers, brushcutters on your own land no training is required,

As soon as you operate any machinery on some one else's land whether it's as a favour or getting paid you do need proof of adequate training and certification.

Please could you give a link to the legislation that enforces this :001_smile:

I'm sure as a training provider you would very much like it to be true:sneaky2:, but I'm almost certain it isn't :001_rolleyes:

I was always lead to believe that you should have basic training and your 'employer' (the farmer) should check to ascertain your competency. The reasoning behind it being should the worst happen then the farmer would immediately be in the mire! Depending then, i would assume, as to what has happened then the HSE would talk to you. As to the legality of it all I believe you can do whatever you want!! Insurance side of things i would check everything and not just take peoples word on it because this is where companies will hang you out to dry. Just my opinion:lol:

Please could you give a link to the legislation that enforces this :001_smile:

I'm sure as a training provider you would very much like it to be true:sneaky2:, but I'm almost certain it isn't :001_rolleyes:

Being a training provider has nothing to do with it.

I will look out the legislation for you later.

Page 1, paragraph 2, line 3

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/afag805.pdf

Also reg 9 PUWER 98

http://www.quadsafety.org/downloads_temp/e5398d11-7ab0-4f45-b553-fbac4a2a9d34_Imported_File.PDF

There are more guides and regulations that apply.

If you want to sit and read them all

It can be a minefield and it's down to your translation,

they kneed to be read more than once and cross referenced, if you don't loose the will to live,:001_smile:

Happy reading :biggrin:

It is difficult pinpointing a specific regulation.

We all know it is illegal to shoot some one.

where can you find the official law that states that.

I bet some one will :001_smile:

Also reg 9 PUWER 98

http://www.quadsafety.org/downloads_temp/e5398d11-7ab0-4f45-b553-fbac4a2a9d34_Imported_File.PDF

they kneed to be read more than once and cross referenced, if you don't loose the will to live,:001_smile:

Happy reading :big grin:

Also the second paragraph of the first link says "this is not compulsory"

That is all about "employees".

plus the second paragraph of the first link states "this is not compulsory".

Also reg 9 PUWER 98

Happy reading :biggrin:

You wont find it written down anywhere

It is contrary to common law, no statute is required

Is it any wonder there is a negative growth forecast for the UK with all this bull*hit and red tape flying around, don't the politico's realise that that jobs and industry kickstart the economy, not the penpushers in Whitehall holding back business enterprize and the will to do a days work in peace without all this red tape.

Is it any wonder there is a negative growth forecast for the UK with all this bull*hit and red tape flying around, don't the politico's realise that that jobs and industry kickstart the economy, not the penpushers in Whitehall holding back business enterprize and the will to do a days work in peace without all this red tape.

Couldn't agree more