Unorthodox techniques

Peter

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey skyhuck, where did you learn that trick on chogging down with leaving the saw in the wood. i've only seen one guy in oz do it, thats who i got it off. interesting to know if the same tricks are over in england.

Self taught mate.

I've never seen any one else do it, but then I've not worked with that many climbers.

i don't feel like such a stand alone cowboy after this thread. i've never seen too much harm in lowering or zipping the occasional piece off my line.

here's a handy little trick i picked up. if your too far from the lowering line to be flicked to you(you also have to be reasonably below the lowering point), rather than tie the krab to your line and pull it up. get the groundie to clip the krab around your line, he then holds your line tight and pulls on the lowering line the krab then slips up the rope to you. easy and simple.

What gets me every time i read something like that, is how simple it is, so how can I have missed it for 25 years? cool as. thanks.

use half hitches to lower multiple branches works a treat on whirled trees (monkeypuzzle and the like) but watch out for the weight snapping branches before you get to cut them...saves petrol though.

step cut a few braches at a time so as to get more cutting done while you've got your saw(make 'em good and not tangled)

if your having to throw branches a bit of a way to hit the drop zone pile them up and do all your cutting then all your throwing (within reason), handy one for wide leylandii hedges!

If your felling a stem on a hill/near a target which may take a wack with the stem kicking up or you dont want it rolling use a piece of lowering rope (2-3m) to do a snatch (i guess) cut some notches below fell cut (front and back) for rope to sit in, tie rope above and below fell cut so it holds and cant go anywhere, fell away. remember the ropes gonna try to get off the stump more than the stem!

Branches always make good hooks, strops can be good for security on handhelds.

Sometimes leave your 200 hanging in the middle of the tree if you don't need it for tips.

If your working on pollards and need to cut and chuck get a piece of rope, choke off the new growth, cut from one side while tightening the choke, throw the whole lot to your groundie.

Self taught mate.

I've never seen any one else do it, but then I've not worked with that many climbers.

I think that often many problems are overcome by the self taught. The open mind to new and exciting methods is prevelent in those who are self taught. Farmed climbers tend to follow their mentors styles. ( college rant alert) and may limit themselves by doing only what they where shown.

I'm not convinced that my tricks are unorthodox having read the ones above :P

Apart from half cutting limbs until they point at the ground, then letting them go

so they drop at the trunk.

ermmmm...

Waiting until the customers not around before making a massive section fall when the customer has been watching me diligently dismantle the rest piece by piece. :-)