Show us ya birds !

David Humphries

On 22/03/2020 at 21:57, AJStrees said:

Might be a silly question, but there never seem to be any male ones...... 

On 22/03/2020 at 21:57, AJStrees said:

Might be a silly question, but there never seem to be any male ones...... 

The Drakes might be " in eclipse "  . They do this after breeding and grow a temporary set of flightless ,sorta dowdy feathers . That's why sometimes you cant tell the Ducks from the Drakes . This lasts for a few weeks then they regrow their flight feathers and off they go . @AJStrees

Edited by Stubby

23 minutes ago, Pete W said:

Some pics from yesterdays wander on the Estuary, A Willow Warbler belting it out, a couple of Skylark shots and a Red Breasted Merganser

DSD_9451.jpg

DSD_9472.jpg

DSD_9475.jpg

DSD_9531.jpg

Bloody good shots there. What shutterspeed are you using and what was the iso? would like to know for myself and taking bird shots better. 

9 minutes ago, Ratman said:

IMG_4210.thumb.jpg.d4e7114faac89c7fc8445c5379659c62.jpg

Not my picture, a local wagon driver took it from the on-slip road to M6 at Brockholes Nature Reserve (junction 31) Osprey, did well to get a shot so up close really, stunning bird though!

There's been a few shots of that bird and I think someone has managed to get the details from the leg ring, but I can't find the tweet at the moment. Lets hope there are two around and we could have new breeding pair

• Like 2

There's been a few shots of that bird and I think someone has managed to get the details from the leg ring, but I can't find the tweet at the moment. Lets hope there are two around and we could have new breeding pair

Yeah its been in local news round us, i believe there is a breeding pair in the old quarry by stocks reservoir but not seen em myself. We have a peregrine falcon pair in quarry at work, been there a good 4 or 5 years now i rekon.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AJStrees said:

Bloody good shots there. What shutterspeed are you using and what was the iso? would like to know for myself and taking bird shots better. 

I have two standard user settings programmed, 1/000th at f8 Aperture priority, with a limit of 1600 iso and 2000th at f8 Manual with no limit. Depending on subject and conditions they are the starting point and I'll change ev and shutter speed or aperture as I think fit. The pics were all on the first setting with ev +2ish I think for the ones against the sky and the merganser was 0. iso 720 for the warbler, 500 for the sitting Skylark, 1250 for the flyer, and 320 for the Merganser.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Yeah its been in local news round us, i believe there is a breeding pair in the old quarry by stocks reservoir but not seen em myself. We have a peregrine falcon pair in quarry at work, been there a good 4 or 5 years now i rekon.

We have quite a few Ospreys around but I've not seen one this year they often feed on the resevoirs above the village and also come down to the shore. I had a Peregrine come in low and fast yesterday over the dunes into the marsh only just managed to snap it

DSD_9485.jpg

• Like 4