Show us ya birds !

David Humphries

8 minutes ago, Pete W said:

I have two standard user settings programmed, 1/000th at f8 Aperture priority, with a limit of 1600 iso and 2000th at f8 Manual with no limit. Depending on subject and conditions they are the starting point and I'll change ev and shutter speed or aperture as I think fit. The pics were all on the first setting with ev +2ish I think for the ones against the sky and the merganser was 0. iso 720 for the warbler, 500 for the sitting Skylark, 1250 for the flyer, and 320 for the Merganser.

I see okay. I was reading up on some other stuff and got some fairly differing settings to what you have just explained. There are many variables so I think I will take on board what you have said and try that with a bit of jiggery pokery until I get it right. 

Generally I can take a decent photo with most cameras but moving birds are a bit of a thing to get the hang of. 

Thanks for the advice and I will let you know how it goes. Took some shots of the terns today ducking and diving into the pond. None of them were up to snuff so will try again next time they come along. 

3 minutes ago, AJStrees said:

I see okay. I was reading up on some other stuff and got some fairly differing settings to what you have just explained. There are many variables so I think I will take on board what you have said and try that with a bit of jiggery pokery until I get it right. 

Generally I can take a decent photo with most cameras but moving birds are a bit of a thing to get the hang of. 

Thanks for the advice and I will let you know how it goes. Took some shots of the terns today ducking and diving into the pond. None of them were up to snuff so will try again next time they come along. 

I think the only way to do it is to play around with different settings until you find something that suits, I will change all the settings depending on light, wind and subject, but they are the ones that I can instantly flick to. One thing I forgot to mention is that I turn off image stabilization for moving subjects. I tend to use high shutter speed because I'm usually using 900mm effective focal length

• Like 1

I think the only way to do it is to play around with different settings until you find something that suits, I will change all the settings depending on light, wind and subject, but they are the ones that I can instantly flick to. One thing I forgot to mention is that I turn off image stabilization for moving subjects. I tend to use high shutter speed because I'm usually using 900mm effective focal length

Ok sounds good.

Will spend a bit of time on it and see how it goes. Ta

15 hours ago, Ratman said:

Yeah its been in local news round us, i believe there is a breeding pair in the old quarry by stocks reservoir but not seen em myself. We have a peregrine falcon pair in quarry at work, been there a good 4 or 5 years now i rekon.

Knew I'd seen something. Quote from Titter---    Result, finally! - The Osprey recently frequenting the M6 bridges at #Brockholes was ringed at Keswick, Cumbria, on 5th July 2006. Thanks to

for info.

• Like 1

Knew I'd seen something. Quote from Titter---    Result, finally! - The Osprey recently frequenting the M6 bridges at #Brockholes was ringed at Keswick, Cumbria, on 5th July 2006. Thanks to
@RichardduFeu for info.

Do we know if it is paired with another? 14yr old at least then [emoji106] good spot of info there Pete [emoji119]