Show us ya birds !

David Humphries

On 23/04/2023 at 14:11, Doug Tait said:

I watched a documentary a long time ago by Eddie Izzard about languages. Part of it was he travelled to various places in Europe to ask farmers a question in Old Flemish I think. This is terribly inaccurate but something like "unt uh brunta coo, unt uh muchy milka". From Dumfries to Belgium, Holland, and so many other places, all understood enough to know he wanted to buy a lot of milk from a brown cow!

My wife is Danish and there are many words in the old Lincolnshire dialect that are similar.  Not surprising as we were under Danelaw for so long  (I still am!)  

This was interesting written in 1892  obviously Yorkshire was under Danelaw as well but a couple of words we use here every day are Gimme for ewe lamb and Clegg for Horsefly, Danish KLaeg

WWW.GENUKI.ORG.UK

YORKSHIRE FOLK TALK: Danish comparisons Yorkshire genealogy

Yellow Hammer is another good example from Germany  In German it is Gelb Ammer the Ammer part means finch

By the way I have been introduced to an APP on my phone called Merlin which detects bird song and identifies.  All of you probably have it already as I am always the last to hear about these things but it is brilliant

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billhook said:

My wife is Danish and there are many words in the old Lincolnshire dialect that are similar.  Not surprising as we were under Danelaw for so long  (I still am!)  

This was interesting written in 1892  obviously Yorkshire was under Danelaw as well but a couple of words we use here every day are Gimme for ewe lamb and Clegg for Horsefly, Danish KLaeg

WWW.GENUKI.ORG.UK

Yellow Hammer is another good example from Germany  In German it is Gelb Ammer the Ammer part means finch

By the way I have been introduced to an APP on my phone called Merlin which detects bird song and identifies.  All of you probably have it already as I am always the last to hear about these things but it is brilliant

Interestingly here in the borders we'd say Gimmer and Clegg too.

Hadn't heard of Merlin so you are ahead of the curve on that one, I'll have a look though thanks.

Edit. Still under the Danelaw is highly amusing...

Edited by Doug Tait
Laughing!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Billhook said:

WWW.GENUKI.ORG.UK

What an interesting article, thanks Billhook. I recognise so much of what it refers to, its like listening to my uncles chatting... "they gimmers hae ta'en a bield frae the snaw, best gaun ower tae the kist for bait"

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AJStrees said:

Sorry to keep posting pictures but I’ve been working on improving my bird shots with slightly different settings on the camera.  

2633CAA3-166D-4A1B-842F-C1EC4A04BF3B.jpeg

EFB34443-9AFB-495F-AB29-C0B499AF5D0F.jpeg

4C87DBB3-8BAC-46B8-94CD-77DAEFBB4887.jpeg

7F9DA128-617C-473D-BB6C-753FE3BFF9F9.jpeg

1698D5C7-3CCA-41E0-B209-62EC6E531D07.jpeg

C5B0E32D-6AB5-456A-828D-94DEBE8A18A9.jpeg

660B5C94-E056-44D9-BDA1-ACDE11805518.jpeg

Nothing to apologise for there - we're all still learning  - and you definitely seem to have it sussed !  Love the last nuthatch one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ABtrees said:

Nothing to apologise for there - we're all still learning  - and you definitely seem to have it sussed !  Love the last nuthatch one.

Cheers mate, much appreciated 👍always more to learn. 

21 hours ago, AJStrees said:

Sorry to keep posting pictures but I’ve been working on improving my bird shots with slightly different settings on the camera.  

2633CAA3-166D-4A1B-842F-C1EC4A04BF3B.jpeg

EFB34443-9AFB-495F-AB29-C0B499AF5D0F.jpeg

4C87DBB3-8BAC-46B8-94CD-77DAEFBB4887.jpeg

7F9DA128-617C-473D-BB6C-753FE3BFF9F9.jpeg

1698D5C7-3CCA-41E0-B209-62EC6E531D07.jpeg

C5B0E32D-6AB5-456A-828D-94DEBE8A18A9.jpeg

660B5C94-E056-44D9-BDA1-ACDE11805518.jpeg

Wish you were closer, I'd get you take some for me, we've an albino heron and a bittern around here that I try and get a picture of (only on an i-phone) to put on here, ends up looking like dust spec on the lens 

• Like 2