Chainsaw Knowledge questions

ADB328

Ill set the scene a friend recently attended an interview for a conservation job and was asked

If the chain is creeping and the idle speed has been adjusted and the chain tensioner is fine what could cause chain creep?

The answer if i remeber right from what he said is

The clutch plates are worn and its causing slippage and The bearing behind the sprocket is seized which also causes slippage.

This might not be exactly right its been a few days.

So ive worked with C saws for a long time now and i didnt know that so i began to wonder what else i dont know so i'm going to brush up on bits of info like this.

So my point is where do i go to find this kind of stuff out, the little quirks or the random bits of info that is not usually known, i thought the manual but its basic at best.

Any ideas?

Ill set the scene a friend recently attended an interview for a conservation job and was asked

If the chain is creeping and the idle speed has been adjusted and the chain tensioner is fine what could cause chain creep?

The answer if i remeber right from what he said is

The clutch plates are worn and its causing slippage and The bearing behin

d the sprocket is seized which also causes slippage.

This might not be exactly right its been a few days.

So ive worked with C saws for a long time now and i didnt know that so i began to wonder what else i dont know so i'm going to brush up on bits of info like this.

So my point is where do i go to find this kind of stuff out, the little quirks or the random bits of info that is not usually known, i thought the manual but its basic at best.

Any ideas?

Firstly, the creeping chain is due to weak or broken clutch shoe return springs, or possibly a failed needle bearing.

Secondly, where to come to learn odd bits of info?, Here of course.:biggrin:

I would have thought idle too high! Wouldn't have thought of the clutch

Very often people try to get the chain to stop creeping by lowering the idle speed, but you can only go so far before the idle becomes unstable.

If the mixture is lean the engine will race at idle, but will be faster than the specified idle speed, richening will bring it down but if you reach the specified speed and the chain is still creeping then it indicates week springs which allow the centrifugal clutch shoes to fly out at too slow a speed. A very common problem.