compact tractors?

Dean O

any body use a compact tractor?

cant justify a real tractor and dont know if what I'm after is available - Am I asking for the moon on a stick?

4 wheel drive

able to run a pto chipper

small timber trailer and crane (like an atv TT)

topper.

maybe a loader?

am i right in thinking that i would need 35hp plus to run a pto chipper.

any info gratefully recieved from anyone who employs one.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cant justify a real tractor and dont know if what I'm after is available - Am I asking for the moon on a stick?

4 wheel drive

topper.

maybe a loader?

I think you might be better off with a full sized 4wd tractor, maybe 60 or 70hp. It will do all the jobs you mention better than a compact and will have much better ground clearance for forest work .

It might also work out as cheap..

We run a Kioti CK35, loader with grab and 6" chipper no problem. The lift of the loader is approx 500kg. The main disadvantage of a compact tractor is the small front wheel size. Rabbit holes, etc are there to catch the unwary. Also used it with a 4 tonne skid winch. No problem on the winching part, but the 3pt linkage only as a 800kg lift (if memory serves) so when you take off the weight of the implement you soon reach capacity on skidding. Have been looking at forestry trailers, but so far haven't had the funds to buy one. We also run a 1.5m flail (offset / inline verge mower).

When looking at smaller tractors I found that the Kioti was approximately half the price of an alpine tractor. With alpines you keep a smaller vehicle as you go up the HP range but we were limited by storage space and the next size up would not fit in it.

4 wheel drive

topper.

maybe a loader?

We,ve a few Kubota,s. The one that does the most in this line is a L3300 (35hp) which tows a 4t trailer, has a power loader, is 4wheel drive, runs our schliesing 200zx chipper (about 5 1/2" capacity) and has loads of rear spool valves for assessories including a log splitter. Jobs a good one:thumbup1: