Barbed Wire. Why?

Agreed

But N Wales slow to adapt ............

I could never understand why they didn't use them 15 years ago they looked so practical

Possibly fuel costs have made them stop using huge 4x4 tractor to carry 3 small bales 2 miles .......

Have you any idea how much a jd gator costs? You can get a very nice 4x4 pickup for same money! Thats maybe why not taken off in wales! ;)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally here in the states if the fence is strong and high enough there are little or no problems. Most land owners here in SW Florida that have cattle use both barbed and non barbed wire along with and in conjunction with electric fence. I believe it depends on your budget and maintenance practices. The Cattel here in this state are generally small and due to the fact we have sand for soil the nutritional value of what there is to eat is fair to poor. I find that people that raise Cattle for some level of income maintain all fencing much better than the amatures who pretend and become bored and neglectful very fast after the Green Acres affect has worn off. I have never seen a cow or bull rub against barbed wire to deal with a itch, I have been around both most of my adult life.

easy-lift guy

Exactly!

They wont!

Of choice.

But they will scratch on an unprotected (by barbed wire) post or strainer.

And some of the 1/2 bred Continental beef breeds are somewhat large.

Really? I was in farming years ago and regularly watched cattle stretching barb to hell by using it as a scratching implement; the numerous tufts of hair bore testament. As said though nothing will stop a determined cow unless it's bigger and stronger than the cow; the trick is to prevent animals becoming determined by not showing them yummy tucker just over the fence!

The above applies to electric fences too; every herd has a beast or two that isn't bothered by it and is happy to walk straight through it if there is temptation beyond.

From reading the posts, generally, it appears barbed wire has a use for keeping cows contained, especially where the top line is electric.

Beyond controlling cows (of which we have none) - are there any other benefits?

Probably keeping people out of the field where they shouldnt be?

Re: Beyond controlling cows (of which we have none) - are there any other benefits?

Probably keeping people out of the field where they shouldnt be?

It hinders but doesn't tend to actually keep people out altogether, so I'm not seeing that as a benefit, especially when compared with good hedging.

And it works both ways... barbed fencing hinders our own access to do jobs.