Inexpensive solution to run 25" bar?

WorcsWuss

Right gents.

I can't afford to buy a new saw but I need to run a longer bar in certain applications, 25" should be plenty, I might even get away with 20" most of the time but since I'm at it, to have the capacity for 25" would be sensible.

So, what do you suggest? Although Stihl is my brand of choice, I'm open to suggestions. My 260 will still be my main saw so I don't mind having 'something else' for occasional big trunks.

I don't want a 'domestic' or 'homeowner' brand though....:001_huh:

Budget, couple of hundred quid.

Condition, mechanically sound really, don't want to buy a wrecker to rebuild, unless I can end up with a 660 for 200 quid! [i am fairly able mechanically though if necessary]

In terms of size & power, I'm not going to be running this all day long so it doesn't matter if a 25" bar is right at the top end of its abilities.

Not too fussed on vintage, would prefer any post AV Stihl but as I say, open to suggestions.

Thanks all! :001_smile:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just get a thirty day account with a dealer, do the job you got in mind for the saw, get paid then square up with the dealer. What could be easier?

Don't waste yer money on s/hand mate.

Thats good advice, and the saw will then earn you loads more in years to come.

If your preference is Stihl, a later model 051 (with chainbrake) might suit. You wouldn't want to lug it far but they're pretty bombproof and parts availability is good. There is an Oregon sprocket to convert to 3/8 chain and they'll pull something pretty aggressive due to high torque, so cut fairly fast on a 25" bar (they're OK with 30"). I reckon you can be up and running for under £100 on a good day. Watch for cracks in the back handle though.

Alec

Thanks Alec, sounds like a good solution. Will keep my eyes peeled.

Spud, which one should I be looking at?

Mick et al, that was how I bought my 019T years ago. Problem I have now is it's not my full time job so I daren't rely on that arrangement.... do have an account but I don't want to splash 700 quid!

Simon

I had a 051 with 25in blade mine felt slow heavy and under powered compared with the 039 I paid £150 for. The saw came with 20in 325 chain and flys with this on ( should be 3/8 ) Not sure if you could run 25" of 325 or not. My 051 although had good compression may have been faulty as others sound like they have a better experience.