Duel tractor wheels

skyhuck

Has any one any experience of using duel wheels??

Not on a mog but had dual 12x38s on the 1124, made the thing 10.5ft wide!. I don't think it increased traction noticeably skidding but spread the load a bit. I did have some sidewall issues with picking up stones. This was with the original county cones rather than quick fits.

The main advantage was on the steep bank I was working.

In the end I just fitted 14x34 as the singlke 12x38 wouldn't cope with the cranab 4510 when I bought it.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not on a mog but had dual 12x38s on the 1124, made the thing 10.5ft wide!. I don't think it increased traction noticeably skidding but spread the load a bit. I did have some sidewall issues with picking up stones. This was with the original county cones rather than quick fits.

The main advantage was on the steep bank I was working.

In the end I just fitted 14x34 as the singlke 12x38 wouldn't cope with the cranab 4510 when I bought it.

got any pics?

What tyre pressures do you run the Mog and trailers at off road? Wide singles would be more suitable than duals on bearings and costs unless find some cage wheel in Farmers Guardian.

I do let the tyres right down went on sort ground.

we use duals on our arable tractor for cultivation work, they don't always give you more traction, if its clay soils it'll make it worse, sandier soils will help.....You'll soon get tired of taking them on and off, i thought it would be easy just to pop them on and off when i wanted or even every night to bring the tractor in, now she just stays out in the field till were finished and diesel gets dragged out to it like the combine! Tedious things, might be easier on mog as smaller wheels, but muddy locking straps, slippery ground or tire not quite lining up IMO = Hightened stress levels.

But we do use them but don't think they're going to be a quick and easy fix, can cause fair bit of tire wall damage to if ur near stones alot like us, guess also timber might be a problem jamming up between them.

Sorry to be so hard, but personally i don't think they're going to achieve what u want IMO.:001_rolleyes:

we dont use duals now, but no plenty who do on high horse power tractors [over 300hp]. i used to use them all the time in the 90's on front and rear of tractor.. used to snap the occassional wheel stud but apart from that we had 3 tractors running on them for years [over 20] before and after i left school.... wouldnt have a problem running on them now if we had to...

If you have 4 wheel steer cannot you convert to crab steer so that each wheel has its own fresh ground for traction. My forward control MB Trac has the facility and the grip is far better you just have to remember to turn it off for narrow gateways or narrow bridges.

Yes it has crab steer as an option, but I don't think is the fact that the wheels follow each other that causes the loss of traction, its just down to foot print size, soft tyres make a huge difference.

Also when in crab steer is quite difficult to go where you want.