I always service my saws after use

predator

I ALWAYS SERVICE MY SAWS AFTER USE !! DO YOU ???

chain dressed up maybe bar turned dressed oil n fuel refilled & airfilter n saw blown out with airline checked over say 15 mins job done ready on the shelf waiting ready .I get something out of seeing them ready on the shelf is it a man thing lol or just me train spotter syndrome as if i had the money i could easy get carried away buying saws for no reason and tinkering with them etc it addictive even though i dont need a saw i,am alway lurking on ebay its like a drug >> or do i need help lol ???????????

i always rev the saw for 20 or less seconds to coat the chain with oil when im finished with it. if the saw isnt going to be used for a few days/weeks i drain the saw of its fuel and run it out of the carb. if its dull i sharpen it back at the yard in the vise as i can get it accurate in a vice. i brush the air filter out on a 200t everytime i refuel it and the other saws (except the 346xp) every couple of time of refueling.

my saws are always clean and blown out every week.

if you look after your tools they will look after you

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just cut for the log burner:thumbup:

Think you had better add cleaning the chainbrake and checking the chain catcher to the list - gotta say it really pisses me off when the MS200Ts come in with yet another busted chain catcher and brake mech stuffed with wood chip.

Needless to say, I slap a new catcher on each one:thumbup:

yupp im on the catchatcher bit as well the 200t chain catcher go quite ofter so i have a bag of them in my site tool box

I make some of my living from servicing saws so I am pleased when owners don't.

However, it is frustrating to see some of the problems I have to fix that could have been avoided by a little servicing.

I get loads of MS361,s in from pro users, that dont oil the chain. Its often because the drum bearing has broken up through lack of maintenance, the drum then runs eccentric and loosens the oil pump drive link on the worm, so the pump does not turn. The drum then starts to wear through the pump body.

The customer gets a bill for bearing, drum, pump drive and sometimes a pump.

All he needed to do was clean out under the brake cover, remove the drum, clean the clutch and grease the bearing occasionally. Simples.

I only really bothers me when they moan about the cost as though it is my fault.

I make some of my living from servicing saws so I am pleased when owners don't.

However, it is frustrating to see some of the problems I have to fix that could have been avoided by a little servicing.

I get loads of MS361,s in from pro users, that dont oil the chain. Its often because the drum bearing has broken up through lack of maintenance, the drum then runs eccentric and loosens the oil pump drive link on the worm, so the pump does not turn. The drum then starts to wear through the pump body.

The customer gets a bill for bearing, drum, pump drive and sometimes a pump.

All he needed to do was clean out under the brake cover, remove the drum, clean the clutch and grease the bearing occasionally. Simples.

I only really bothers me when they moan about the cost as though it is my fault.

I tend to run hard and sort where required. Although most of my saws have had the covers removed clutch cleaned and bearings greased in the last week. I sometimes think my larger plant is worth more and gets first attention afterall a new saw is £500 a new bobcat or jcb wrong side of 20k

Just do my saws as and when needed, blow air filters esp 200t, sharpen when necessary.

Give them a wipe over when you've been working in the rain and the saws covered in wet sawdust/ or dry depending how long its been left.

I do like clean airfilters when i turn up to a job, this and a sharp chain most important :001_smile:

200t sucks for amount of crap getting to air filter :thumbdown: