How to tell 2 stroke from petrol

Sinjun

I agree.

Sold as working.... Not working. Dont try to get it working, it will cost money. Send it back.

And what happens when the saw arrives back at the sellers and he starts it with ease due to greater experience.

Saws are not like electrical items that can simple be switched on.

I think the buyer should at least find out if the inability to get it running is the fault of the saw.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And what happens when the saw arrives back at the sellers and he starts it with ease due to greater experience.

I think the buyer should at least find out if the inability to get it running is the fault of the saw.

You seen the pics just posted?? lol

IMO the piston looks good - the lines are turning marks from manufacture. I can't make out the cylinder, bearing in mind this will be the inlet side, it doesn't look too bad - the pitting may be bits of carbon held in place by the fuel oil?

Is the crown of the piston shiney and clean, if so it has probably had a new piston, if it is brown and has carbon on it, it will have done some work.

To find out why it isn't starting you have to find out what is missing - spark, compression or fuel? When you take the plug out after trying to start it, is the plug wet? If you flick it at a piece of paper, do you get a spattering of fuel off it? If you turn the saw upside down with the ignition off and pull it over, does fuel run or spatter out of the plug hole?

If you hold the saw and drop it just holding the starter, does the saw fall downwards fast or does it fall slowly especially when saw reaches top dead centre on each compression stroke.

There you go - a bit more to do, what has the previous owner said, things do go wrong - a dried out carb can have a sticking needle arm making it a pig to start - had it all in my time!

Thanks all for your replies - much appreciated. I'm going to send the chainsaw back because it just won't start. But I've taken a couple of photos of the piston and cylinder. There are some longitudinal marks in the cylinder and I'd be interested in your opinions as to whether there is damage.

Is that water i can see on the inlet and inside the piston?

The piston looks like it has done very little work and is like new. IMO the droplets on the piston and on the cylinder wall are fuel and the bits that look like scratches are smears of fuel. The saw is flooded, can the original poster tell us how he tried to start the saw.

The piston looks like it has done very little work and is like new. IMO the droplets on the piston and on the cylinder wall are fuel and the bits that look like scratches are smears of fuel. The saw is flooded, can the original poster tell us how he tried to start the saw.

Good point - I am sure many believe a saw will run on full choke unless told other wise - prehaps the saw is just flooded:confused1:

The piston looks ok - maybe a little new but clean enough!

Thanks for your comments everyone. Will follow up some of the suggestions about possible flooding - get the spark plug out and follow the flooded combustion chamber procedure. My main worry was that some damage might have been sustained if petrol rather than 2 stroke had been used by previous owner, whether it starts or not. I realise these things don't just turn on like electrical items, but I never had this problem with an old chainsaw I used to use.

You are totally right, my post was made without proper thought, and a little alcohol.

I generalised, as I get fed up with the number of machines brought into me that have been sold on flebay and do not work. Most have serious problems and have been sold by unscrupulous sellers, its a great place to unload rubbish. This one may well have been genuine and I jumped in too soon.

But, please, anyone considering buying on fleabay, BE CAREFUL.