Looking at a first Unimog - Advice please

northumbriaforestry

Hi All, I'm well aware that there's a few Mog nuts on this site, & I'm hoping that some of you will be along soon. Never had a Mog, but am considering one at the moment & wanted some input. It's either a Mog, Big Tractor, Or old Bedford etc. Need to move Timber, so need a crane, need to be able to tow a decent sized trailer & the option of a pickup appeals. Hydraulics to run processors, splitters, chippers etc is a must. It will pay for it's self, so the more versatile the better. Input & pics would be much appreciated. Cheers, Natha.

Hi All, I'm well aware that there's a few Mog nuts on this site, & I'm hoping that some of you will be along soon. Never had a Mog, but am considering one at the moment & wanted some input. It's either a Mog, Big Tractor, Or old Bedford etc. Need to move Timber, so need a crane, need to be able to tow a decent sized trailer & the option of a pickup appeals. Hydraulics to run processors, splitters, chippers etc is a must. It will pay for it's self, so the more versatile the better. Input & pics would be much appreciated. Cheers, Natha.

Hi Natha, i have had 2 u600s and my last mog was a u1200 ag which i ran for 10 years it did loads of work and when i sold it i think it was only for £1000 less than what i paid for it 10 years ago, you do need to be mechanically minded

I would go for a tractor, you'll get a lot more for your money. Mogs come into their own when you use them as a chipping unit.

Depends on your budget. you won't get much mog for less than £20k but there's plenty decent tractors in that price bracket. I saw there's a valtra 6300 on arbtrader with a crane....

i would highly reccomend getting a mog IF you are going to use it for chipping into , working off road (not in the woods), have plenty of spare cash , a handy hgv/agg fitter and if you have not considdered getting something like a valtra with roof mount crane , hyd services , front and rear 3 point linkage and a decent trailer.

all in all i really can not see that a mog (say u1600) is going to be as usefull in the woods as a decent valmet with the right spec .

any way good luck and if u do wish to look at some mogs then i would highly rate A.C Price

The best advice I got before I bought my Mog was....

"If your not mechanically minded or you have a trusted mechanic used to working on them a Mog is not for you"

Sounds like you would be better served with a Tractor and Crane Trailer,you won't have any stress with Vosa by the sounds of things and Tractors are hard to break and easy to fix.

Having said all that,if you must ,your money will go alot further in Germany.Or buy from a reputable dealer.

what size mog are you looking into , But also as others have said you need to know a bit about fixing them or know someone who is otherwise they can run away with cash ,

I have just rebuilt my engine and fitted a new clutch £2000 and i have had no labour cost s as between a few friends we have done all the work saving £££££