stihl 029 as a first chainsaw?

Maxnaggle

thanks for the replies!

Im not too fussed about husky or stihl - judging by the amount of loyal followers each brand has there both going to be good,

Basically i need a saw thats as versatile as possible - as its going to be my first saw and i want to be as useful as i can be - dont want to be limited by a saw which isnt up to it...

im pretty mechanically minded myself so going over a saw and doing things like piston and rings is okay by me,

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

this looks good to me - although its not running right but the price & condition look good?

thanks for the replies again

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

I was sold an MS290 new back in March and used it for my CS30/31 training. The course supplied beasts if you didn't have your own saw were 346XP's.

I used the 290 through June and July on general tree work on an estate. It started fine every day, and still does. It is heavy for it's power though.

I then got hold of a 346XP and the difference is tremendous.

Slightly lighter, but feels a lot lighter due to its shape and balance. It makes snedding MUCH easier as it seems to rev up faster. You feel as though you have to wait for the 290 to get to speed, even though its probably only a few fractions of a second slower.

I still use the 290, mainly for cross-cutting firewood as it's a steady plodder and it remains in my van as a back-up saw.

After a days use, the 290 will leave you tired, but the 346 certainly won't.

Summing up my experience with both mate, I would try and get a decent second-hand 346 if you can't manage new. The 290 is OK, but it's not for everyday forest work.

thanks for the replies!

Im not too fussed about husky or stihl - judging by the amount of loyal followers each brand has there both going to be good,

Basically i need a saw thats as versatile as possible - as its going to be my first saw and i want to be as useful as i can be - dont want to be limited by a saw which isnt up to it...

im pretty mechanically minded myself so going over a saw and doing things like piston and rings is okay by me,

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

this looks good to me - although its not running right but the price & condition look good?

thanks for the replies again

Try not to start off on a back footing mate, a saw with problems is a pita and it will bug you. Look for a running one, you can tell sometimes that when advertised that some saws are genuine, you have to look out for them.... keep looking :)

Haven't looked at the add yet though

so it looks like the 029 was more of an agriculture saw?

ive been looking mainly on ebay for seccond hand saws, are there any other places that sell arb equiptment other than ebay?

i will probibly end up with a 346 at somepoint - i cant find any on ebay 2nd hand right now, and cant afford to buy new - so i need something that will do the job in the meantime and when i can afford something a bit more luxury i will get it

so it looks like the 029 was more of an agriculture saw?

Yes, the 029 was actually branded a "Farm Boss"

Its a heavily built reliable saw aimed at farmers or estates, its designed to be able to bounce about in the back of a pickup or tractor bucket all day and to to the odd days tree work - thats why its so heavy.

Stihl MS260/026 all the way for me, light powerful. Proven.

I GOT A MS260 2008 MODEL FOR £250 off a guy through ebay but let me pick it up from his home in wigan & was very honest and open with me i met up with him again today he,s made me 2 spare oregon 67dl chains up for £16 nice old chap he tells me he buys n sells through ebay a lot i checked his feedback and its faultless .So there are some honest ones out there etc he takes in part ex,s and ex hire but give them a good going over first i got a new stihl bar n chain on mine too"