Visiting Redwoods

Taupotreeman

I was keen to go shark diving with great whites but it's the wrong season. .

you can do it off Gisborne pal -http://www.surfit.co.nz/page5903750.aspx.

Boyd is great -passionate about fish and conservation, would reccommend him anyday.

Enjoy the U.S trip sounds a cracker!

Now that has to take some balls!

Diving with great whites, respect!:001_cool:

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump ...

Shot from last month. Just posted this pic at the video section where Dan Curtis posted about Nat Geo Explorers redwoods video.

I just embedded that redwood video into my redwoods page (link below).

Nice to see it again ... it was on Youtube in 2011 and vanished.

108112d1355980382-climbing-redwood-giants-a_rdwd_10_600copy.jpg

• 2 months later...

Been about 7 or 8 weeks, but I managed to get down to redwood country again this week. Some clearing, some drizzle, but enjoyed the hiking and photography all 3 days of it.

Here's a few pics from the forest, and area nearby.

The particular canyon is the NE gateway right before coming down into Jedediah Smith redwoods, following the Smith River. Several places have wind-shaped oaks and madrone (Arbutus) that excel any oriental garden I've seen photos of. 10 times better in person though.

glasses_HDR600.jpg.e103fb053d3e302fc52496a055d671e7.jpg

canyon_600.jpg.2910d1516dc7834e65c6ac5e579d8ad5.jpg

Boy_Sc_LR600.jpg.e0b2882aeb8c8d87b63c313eb094d8d1.jpg

Nice picture that last one Mario. Getting really excited about the trip now.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

There's plenty online about the coast redwoods including my pages.

But one thing you may want to print or keep in a device prior to, or shortly after landing here, is the locations of the main visitor centers in case you have some specific questions.

At least near Avenue of the Giants, Redwood National Park by Orick, and Crescent City, they are right en route, or a minute off the main highway in town. But if you can see where they sit on a map, it may help out for knowing which direction to head from some grove or road when you are tweaking your day.

ranger_C_600.jpg.aaae98ea1aff5f216d1f4da662a600ca.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, made it to Brookings this evening and a very pleasant place it is to. Drove out of Seattle on Monday and spent a day and half at mt St Helens in the B&B from hell but the observatory over looking the mountain was cool and the old growth forests not affected by the eruption are pretty awesome. Headed from there across to Cannon Beach but didn't stop. Bit too touristy for me. Ended up just crashing the night in Lincoln City and got to Brookings at around 4. Going to head to crescent city tomorrow early, get digs and then head on out to the Redwoods to explore. Can't wait.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App