Cost cutting exercise.....

Pete Hart

I got one enquiry from the yellow pages in a year.... nothing came of it. £1500 down the drain!!

Another idea which im unsure about, is to ask local indian take aways for unwanted cooking oil for putting in the saws. A friend who makes his own bio diesel says that because the indian takeaways only use the oil once to do popadum's its very clean!!!

Would cooking oil be any good in the saws or am i better of sticking to the 'proper stuff'?

The best cost cutting measure you could use is buying some of that biodiesel off your friend and runninhg your trucks and chipper on it, and your car if thats diesel too!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

Measure your advertising responses.

Every enquiry I receive is recorded.

How did you hear of us? I ask everyone and its noted.

Yellow pages works for us via the web.

Flyers not delivered but placed in supermarkets yes.

Signwriting on vans invaluable for professional credibility.

Business cards NOT FREE VISTA PRINT are important.

Major adverts must not cost more than 10% and ideally 5% of their gross revenue

So an ad costing £100 must generate a minimum of £1000 and at 5% £2000

Best ad I placed cost us £1200 and won us £50k of work.

I know this because I took the time to measure it.

Regards

Ty

Pay off your book keeper and do them yourself.

Better still, drop the book keeper/accountant, and get your wife/partner/family member down as the person you have paid to do your books....even if you do your own self assessment. The other half only has to look after your receipts or something, and you can pay them, which means it then comes off your profits. You pay a bit less tax, so long as you pay your wife/partner less than their personal allowance then they won't pay any tax.

Networking as well.... good way to get jobs without paying for advertising. Talk to friends and friends of friends and parents of your kid's friends and other parents at your kid's football training etc.

Edited by Pedroski

heres a good one i'm seeing increasingly in these desperate times - lower your costs and your standards of work at the same time by spending less time doing the job properly, after all 90% of people wouldnt know a good pruning job from a bad one. and you'll win ever job you quote for because youre either desperate or dont care.

why do six cuts when you can do one???

and try to simplify the job as much as possible so you wont need to be there as long as the other guys who've quoted on the basis it was worth doing properly.

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

heres a good one i'm seeing increasingly in these desperate times - lower your costs and your standards of work at the same time by spending less time doing the job properly, after all 90% of people wouldnt know a good pruning job from a bad one. and you'll win ever job you quote for because youre either desperate or dont care.

why do six cuts when you can do one???

and try to simplify the job as much as possible so you wont need to be there as long as the other guys who've quoted on the basis it was worth doing properly.

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Unfortunately very true

DON'T waste money on expensive iPods. Simply think of your favourite tune and I hum it. If you want to "switch I tracks", simply think of another song you like and hum that instead.

Old telephone directories make ideal personal address books. Simply cross out the names and address of people you don't know.

Don't waste hundreds of pounds on expensive carpet. Simply buy two small pieces - attach them to the bottom of your feet and get that quality carpet feel throughout your home