Caring nurse...not!

Graham

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the NMC and that's not true, a nurse is under no obligation to help anyone, fact.

Sent from my aye phone using Tapatalk

In fact quite the opposite...its probably in a nurses best interest not to help someone.

Had this discussion with my missus last year. We witnessed an old guy take a fall at the side of the road so we pulled over and Jodi jumped out and did her nursey stuff. I think im right in saying that with her doing this outside of the NHS she wouldnt be covered by the RCN if she had done anything to make matters worse....and in our litigous society its not surprising someone wouldnt want to take that risk!

Thats by the by though and not really relevant to this incident.

I'm leaning towards Mesterh's assessment though, possibly not insured....possibly over the limit from a night on the bevvies.....or possibly just a selfish ignorant human being.....most probably a combination of the 3.

Hope your sons ok!

In fact quite the opposite...its probably in a nurses best interest not to help someone.

Had this discussion with my missus last year. We witnessed an old guy take a fall at the side of the road so we pulled over and Jodi jumped out and did her nursey stuff. I think im right in saying that with her doing this outside of the NHS she wouldnt be covered by the RCN if she had done anything to make matters worse....and in our litigous society its not surprising someone wouldnt want to take that risk!

Thats by the by though and not really relevant to this incident.

I'm leaning towards Mesterh's assessment though, possibly not insured....possibly over the limit from a night on the bevvies.....or possibly just a selfish ignorant human being.....most probably a combination of the 3.

Hope your sons ok!

First Aiders are viewed under law as 'Good Samaritans' and so, as long as what they do is recognised practice, are protected from legal action :001_smile:

There really are some low people in this world! I'd be straight on the phone to the bobbies! She probably didn't want a claim against her so decided to scare your lad to agree as he was dazed so would have seen it as ok.

No matter what made her say it. That's low!

First Aiders are viewed under law as 'Good Samaritans' and so, as long as what they do is recognised practice, are protected from legal action :001_smile:

And to add to that, if a good Samaritan did something wrong that a paramedic should know then you are still covered. I.e you moved them when you shouldn't but didn't know otherwise.

Thanks for the replies. He's been to the doctors for a check up and seems ok. Bit upset about his bike which is possibly a write off...bent forks, cracked headstock, smashed clocks and various scrapes.

I shall get on to the police in the morning. I checked her insurance online and she is insured so she must be wanting to avoid a claim:thumbdown:

Been there, done that, totalled bike, bumps and bruises and a small break for me, busted bonnet (from my fat ass rolling across it) for him. Fortunately the third party accepted all liability from the get go.

Glad to hear he's OK. The insurance should cover the bike but her attitude just plain sucks. Even if no first aid was required she could have and should have stayed with him to ensure he wasn't in shock. Something smells decidely fishy to me.