glad times have changed

nuggsy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not, I've always beleived that whilst trees have a high "amenity" value, they are also a crop which has to be maximised. Nobody moaned about the amount of timber that has been used to prop up the countryside in coalmines. Nobody has complained about the amount of wood going to bio-fuel.

Why not, I've always beleived that whilst trees have a high "amenity" value, they are also a crop which has to be maximised. Nobody moaned about the amount of timber that has been used to prop up the countryside in coalmines. Nobody has complained about the amount of wood going to bio-fuel.

i would like to complain about the wood used in mines and all the woo used for bio fuel

if anyone else would like me to complain about owt please send a message to me via victor mildrew

I couldn't see any problem other than a lack of ppe, as the work was being done on his own land he has no obligation to wear any. The actual cutting was faultless.

Ill bet the guy has a few interesting stories to tell, hopefully when I'm his age Ill still be able to handle a big saw.

I couldn't see any problem other than a lack of ppe, as the work was being done on his own land he has no obligation to wear any. The actual cutting was faultless.

Ill bet the guy has a few interesting stories to tell, hopefully when I'm his age Ill still be able to handle a big saw.

:congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

• 2 months later...

Ok hello everybody, first off sorry for the bump of this topic, but i need to say a few things.

This is my video, i just recently found that it has been posted on here. So i thought i should clear a few things up ha

Just vid of your average farmer with an old saw he prob bought from a farm sale the week before....Why the hell someone made the effort to film him is beyond me :confused1:

Nope, he is a retired logger. Once he finished school, he went straight into the trade, doing various things through life.

- Comerical tree felling

- Tree Realted Estate Work

- Sawmill Worker (still doing some now)

- Saw Doctor

- Cutting and Delievering loads of firewood (does this about 6 days a week now)

The saw is not actually ours, it officaly belongs to a local saw mill, my uncle (not that guy) borrowed it off them to use it for a job, that was 7 years ago, it was never returned, they know we have it, but they will probably let us keep it, seen as though health and safety wouldnt allow this to be used by any of their workers.

the ppe or lack of in this vid also the safety features on the saw, i wouldnt work a saw without a chain brake n safety throttle.

i like to have a rear chain brake on the handle also, makes it that lil bit safer

Yes, he doesnt wear ppe, i always moan at him for this. I am 16 studying foresty at college, when im workin with him im always wear correct ppe. He just wears steel toe capped boots and gloves lol, sometimes ear defenders

Why criticised? He is most likely working on his own property, and has manged to reach a ripe old age without lethal injury.

Yeah he has been working from a young lad through to 72 and still working now with no injuries

Just to confirm- that was a modern video. The guy who shot it was the chaps’ grandson who said on you-tube that he had been in the trade for 50 years or more !

Yep, im the grandson :D

Your right...what a lovely tree, shame to fell it! Crown looked healthy, and no target as far as I could see.....Shame :sad:

It was a health and saftey hazard, aparently :/ i didnt really want to see it come down, but we just got paid to do it.

It was rotten on the one side, due to being struck by lightning and leaning over a lane, so due to health and saftey it had to come down (if it had fallen on a car or someone the farmer would have been liable)

Interesting points of view on this thread, firstly the use of the 090. heavy powerful saw, will shake ,ou to bits after a days use, every body part takes a hammering, but lets face it, the big toys dont get much of an airing these days. I love my 090, but it has its place, and would rather use the 66 any day, with all ts modern avantages. PPE, personally I'd always use it, whatever saw I'm on, but thats my choice.

The tree, well given the chance i'd fell it, it as coming out for some reason, maybe for the timber, maybe for safety reasons, maybe for firewood, and perhaps the old boy wanted it filmed for one last chance to show "he still had it"

Yeah was because of saftey reasons, but some will go for timber, the rest firewood, and yes that is one of the last big trees my grandad will fall so he wanted it filmed.

Well thanks for taking a slight interest into my videos.

Cheers

Liam Jordan

Ok hello everybody, first off sorry for the bump of this topic, but i need to say a few things.

This is my video, i just recently found that it has been posted on here. So i thought i should clear a few things up ha

Nope, he is a retired logger. Once he finished school, he went straight into the trade, doing various things through life.

- Comerical tree felling

- Tree Realted Estate Work

- Sawmill Worker (still doing some now)

- Saw Doctor

- Cutting and Delievering loads of firewood (does this about 6 days a week now)

The saw is not actually ours, it officaly belongs to a local saw mill, my uncle (not that guy) borrowed it off them to use it for a job, that was 7 years ago, it was never returned, they know we have it, but they will probably let us keep it, seen as though health and safety wouldnt allow this to be used by any of their workers.

Yes, he doesnt wear ppe, i always moan at him for this. I am 16 studying foresty at college, when im workin with him im always wear correct ppe. He just wears steel toe capped boots and gloves lol, sometimes ear defenders

Yeah he has been working from a young lad through to 72 and still working now with no injuries

Yep, im the grandson :D

It was a health and saftey hazard, aparently :/ i didnt really want to see it come down, but we just got paid to do it.

It was rotten on the one side, due to being struck by lightning and leaning over a lane, so due to health and saftey it had to come down (if it had fallen on a car or someone the farmer would have been liable)

Yeah was because of saftey reasons, but some will go for timber, the rest firewood, and yes that is one of the last big trees my grandad will fall so he wanted it filmed.

Well thanks for taking a slight interest into my videos.

Cheers

Liam Jordan

Thanks for taking the time to give us the story behind the vid!!

I hope I can still cut as well as that at 72!!