Mans best friend! On site??

Arran Turner

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at the beginning of spring a few years back (when hunting with dogs was legal) i took my old lurcher bitch on a garden clearance job i had on as i was on my own and this job was near a real nice forest that i thought would be nice to have a wander round at dinner with her, as all you had to do was jump the customers fence, cross a field and you was straight on to a public footpath. the customer was a nice old lady, really polite and pretty posh!!! i asked her if she had a problem with me going and she said no, so i strimmed the back garden and went off for a mooch about at dinner. my bitch was off the lead having a good old sniff about, when she picked up a fresh sent and set off after something. not thinking the worse i just imagined she was after a rabbit or a hare, when all of a sudden a herd of about 30 fallow deer came running out the wood and in to the field, heading straight towards the job with my bitch in hot pursuit, i tried to stop her but it was no use and just as she was running past the job she pulled one down and its screaming its head off!!! i ran over as fast as i could and managed to get her off it, looked up and the customer, her son, his wife and three kids are all looking at me in disbelief at what just happened :blushing: they laughed it off in the end as they were true country folk who understood accidents can happen with dogs and wildlife!!!! i never knew deer were in the area and the bitch was a retired rabbiting dog (12 years old!!) so the chances of that happening were 10000 to 1 lol but i learnt a lesson that day and keep them safely on the lead now if i do take one to work!!!!:thumbup1:

we take one with us, hot days he stays home unless its in a dodgy area then hes on duty gaurding the van.

I used to run 3 working sheepdogs and heat can kill a dog pretty fast!

Hot days dogs indoors with plenty of water.

If it was realy sunny i used to run dogs in little bouts and swap them over,with resting dogs riding in motor or on quad.

Tree work isnt realy a place for dogs to run round on job but cant see an issue with letting them out at breaks.

at the beginning of spring a few years back (when hunting with dogs was legal) i took my old lurcher bitch on a garden clearance job i had on as i was on my own and this job was near a real nice forest that i thought would be nice to have a wander round at dinner with her, as all you had to do was jump the customers fence, cross a field and you was straight on to a public footpath. the customer was a nice old lady, really polite and pretty posh!!! i asked her if she had a problem with me going and she said no, so i strimmed the back garden and went off for a mooch about at dinner. my bitch was off the lead having a good old sniff about, when she picked up a fresh sent and set off after something. not thinking the worse i just imagined she was after a rabbit or a hare, when all of a sudden a herd of about 30 fallow deer came running out the wood and in to the field, heading straight towards the job with my bitch in hot pursuit, i tried to stop her but it was no use and just as she was running past the job she pulled one down and its screaming its head off!!! i ran over as fast as i could and managed to get her off it, looked up and the customer, her son, his wife and three kids are all looking at me in disbelief at what just happened :blushing: they laughed it off in the end as they were true country folk who understood accidents can happen with dogs and wildlife!!!! i never knew deer were in the area and the bitch was a retired rabbiting dog (12 years old!!) so the chances of that happening were 10000 to 1 lol but i learnt a lesson that day and keep them safely on the lead now if i do take one to work!!!!:thumbup1:

Video: 'Fenton' the dog: swearing pet owner goes viral - Telegraph :thumbup:

there are also benefits for me in taking the dog, in the last week holly has brought me 2 rabbits and a pheasant, all good for the freezer in these tough times! also a few weeks ago i was ferry wood around in my truck, stopping in different places to chuck wood in the back. stopped for a cup of tea and up trots holly with something in her mouth, turns out to be my wallet! fell out my truck on one of the stops! i could have kissed her :biggrin:!