a role model

ScottF

I was so impressed by this guy "showing me how it's done" I decided to get on Ebay and get tooled up.

If anyone spots an old blunt saw, a gammy strop, and old leather harness (ideally without leg loops) and a nice sweaty bandanna, let me know.

Also, if anyone can see a pair of glasses which makes a small to medium pine tree look like a "120 foot monster", please PM me.

Cheers

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOhpM25h1jc&feature=related]Veteran Climber Albert on 120ft. large Pinetree - YouTube[/ame]

He handles that rear handle saw like a toy.. I've noticed big srtong climbers tend to one hand a lot, and when they are inexperienced or just don't care. they tend to do it from awkward and potentially dangerous positions. Scary stuff. They do it becasuse they think they can, and don't realize that with only one hand on the saw, they have no control if the saw jumps for any reason.. Taking your second hand off a saw so you can rest it at your side, while making a horizontal cut right in front of your gut, is ill-advised, as was the way he pulled the saw out of the cut and swung it around his body at high RPM's, while he pushed with his other hand.. He obviously is quite comfortable in a saddle, and that is the type of saw handling that one can get away with for an entire career... OR NOT.. it only takes one mistake and game over!

A buddy of mine just showed me pics of this highly experieinced climber in Virginia that took a saw to the neck while taking out a 30' pine top.. Top must have pushed back on teh cut, or the chain hung up and pushed the saw back.. Gruesome pics.. heard it came 3 mm from his jugular...

He handles that rear handle saw like a toy.. I've noticed big srtong climbers tend to one hand a lot, and when they are inexperienced or just don't care. they tend to do it from awkward and potentially dangerous positions. Scary stuff. They do it becasuse they think they can, and don't realize that with only one hand on the saw, they have no control if the saw jumps for any reason.. Taking your second hand off a saw so you can rest it at your side, while making a horizontal cut right in front of your gut, is ill-advised, as was the way he pulled the saw out of the cut and swung it around his body at high RPM's, while he pushed with his other hand.. He obviously is quite comfortable in a saddle, and that is the type of saw handling that one can get away with for an entire career... OR NOT.. it only takes one mistake and game over!

A buddy of mine just showed me pics of this highly experieinced climber in Virginia that took a saw to the neck while taking out a 30' pine top.. Top must have pushed back on teh cut, or the chain hung up and pushed the saw back.. Gruesome pics.. heard it came 3 mm from his jugular...

Yeah but maybe he just has that feeling you know the one were you know it's gona be alright.... :sneaky2:

Yeah I quite agree very dangerous saw handling he would have a nice flow if the saw was sharp or worked though!!

Some bad stuff in there for sure, but a very confident performance. He looked at home up there.

I don't get the blunt saw though. Daniels (Dadio) videos, amongst others, have shown us that our American cousins love a sharp saw.

Didn't look 120 to me either, but what do I know?

Might have had a right spindly top.

Good find, thanks for posting!