Land Rover defender would you buy one.?

clyde

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bought myself an old 1984 110 with a 200tdi. It needs another back axle and some other bits and bobs to get it right again... then she'll be ready for some punishing work this winter! Happy to have a back up 4x4 over the day to day truck.

A 110 will have a Salisbury back axle which literally are bombroof, I have one in the truck that I compete in, with 36" tyres it has never let me down. You can pick up a complete axle for £150, halfs shafts are going for £20/£30.

We have a 130 tipper with a 200tdi which has done 175,000 and still pulls well, no smoke and starts first turn of the key no matter how cold.

A 110 will have a Salisbury back axle which literally are bombroof, I have one in the truck that I compete in, with 36" tyres it has never let me down. You can pick up a complete axle for £150, halfs shafts are going for £20/£30.

We have a 130 tipper with a 200tdi which has done 175,000 and still pulls well, no smoke and starts first turn of the key no matter how cold.

Mine has the Salisbury back axle. It could be rebuilt, but its easier to replace the whole unit.

Happy to join the Defender Club!

Best 4 x 4 I ever had was a G wagen (350GD? can't recall) It was a green short wheelbase one and was a staggeringly capable vehicle. I wish I had never sold it now. Currently run a 92 Hilux which is the most reliable vehicle ever produced. I can't take it to town now because everyone wants to buy it off me. I suppose that means sooner or later it will be knicked.

I think I want another G wagen. LWB this time.

for driving through ponds or over ploughed fields all day, every day a defender is the answer, all you green oval fans seem to have tunnel vision!!!!!!! they are uncomfortable, the electrics are awful....as is the build quality.. seen any mod ones with standard wiring??... i havent!!

what they gain in off road capability they give away in user-comfort/friendliness!!!

i will agree off road they are great but as a road going 4wd.... plenty of better options!!! :001_tongue:

for driving through ponds or over ploughed fields all day, every day a defender is the answer, all you green oval fans seem to have tunnel vision!!!!!!! they are uncomfortable, the electrics are awful....as is the build quality.. seen any mod ones with standard wiring??... i havent!!

what they gain in off road capability they give away in user-comfort/friendliness!!!

i will agree off road they are great but as a road going 4wd.... plenty of better options!!! :001_tongue:

Electrics??!:lol:

Well that’s a self-defeating argument if ever there was one. Of course they are different but they would be for any vehicle. The MOD’s requirements are completely different to the civilian market.

No convoy lights, IR or FFR on mine